Where Did It Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Did It Go?

Hello, everybody. I'm sorry for hogging the forums with all my questions, but I have just recently opened my eyes to the wonderful world of riverboats, and I've had some things on my mind that have been driving me crazy! I was browsing the web, and I came up with a photo of the Spirit of Jefferson on a cruise. It was from the 2003 Tall Stacks, and hanging off the stern was a small paddlewheel. Although it (obviously) did nothing to propel the boat, I have seen the Spirit many times, and I know that it does not have a paddlewheel anymore. It was a small red wheel, about the size of the River Queen's or Tom Sawyer's (STL). When did they get rid of it, and why? I know this question may seem a bit strange (or difficult), but if anybody could do any research on it, that would be nice. I cannot find anything on it.
    Thank you,
    ML

SoJ wheel

The wheel was removed several years ago due to stability problems, I think. Sadder than that is the gawdawful paint job she carries now...she was one of the Streckfus boats in St. Louis prior to coming to Louisville.

Comment

Diesel excursion boats are certainly not my forte. Some years ago a new Officer in Charge of Marine Inspections at Louisville was worried about the lack of freeboard that the SPIRIT OF JEFFERSON had, so he ordered changes. The hull was extended back which resulted in a nice fantail, finer lines, increased freeboard and better stability. The fake wheel served no practical purpose, and I doubt that anyone misses it. Now as for the paint job, well as Grace Hawley might have opined, it looks as if it was designed by a committee.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
      Working...
      X