Another Steamboat Buff Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Steamboat Buff Gone

Sad news came this weekend of the passing, on Friday, October 25th, of Howard Gregory Goldstein, longtime river enthusiast and expert steamboat model builder of Louisville. Greg was another who was involved as a volunteer with the Howard Steamboat Museum in its early days and immediately following the 1971 fire, when he assisted in saving the large collection of Capt. Jim Howard's glass plate negatives and several steamboat models.

Greg, 68, had been in ill health for some time and was under hospice care. As per his wishes, there will be no visitation or funeral service.

A long and two shorts of the whistle in Greg's memory and in appreciation for his good work to preserve and promote river history.

*Passing of Greg Goldstein*
    Keith, I'm deeply saddened by the news of Greg Goldstein's passing. It really came as no surprise considering what you had told me a while back regarding Greg's diagnosis and prognosis. For some reason I'd had Greg on my mind recently with today being another of those unsettled days we often experience. Greg was a common fixuture at our home years ago. Likewise he often attended S&D and MOR meetings when he could. Mother and dad always welcomed his visits with a nice dinner and a little care package of goodies for him to take back home.

Greg was in many ways a near Renaissance man highly skilled/talented in whatever he put his mind with his hands. Corvettes, boat models, planes, speedboats, antique juke box restoration, machine tools on and on. Greg loved the river, steamboats and the Howard Museum in particular. Greg and I shared a cabin on a fun Labor Day cruise on the DELTA QUEEN years ago with a large group of S&D friends. I knew his late parents well having stayed at their home ages ago. Greg's mother was highly skilled in the art of Japanese/Chinese bonsai growing and propagation showing me her inside and outside work areas. Greg the only guy I know who, when he winterized his prize Corvette sports cars, would paste wax them but never buff them before storage. To say I'm feeling pretty low and blue right now understandable. I'll call mother, now 97, in her retirement community tonight with the news. I recall the passage in the Hebrew Book of Talmud: "When we recall the words of our friends, mentors, loved ones, their lips move even unto death." Again, thanks, Keith.

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Comment

Very sorry to hear of Greg's passing, but I knew of his condition and it came as no surprise. I spent many happy visits with Greg and his parents and stayed overnight with them on several occasions. As Dale mentioned, he was multi talented and a fine modeler. His beautiful model of the big side-wheeler Katie will now have a home at the Howard Museum. Greg recently gave me his uncompleted model of the 1850 Buckeye State which I have promised to finish. On the occasion of the launch of the Mississippi Queen I stayed overnight at Greg's, became ill and he had to take me to the ER.- in a Corvette! Rest in peace, Greg. Your suffering is over and you are in a better place.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
      Working...
      X