A Tale To Tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale To Tell

I started a new thread about broken shafts, since the other one is having technical problems for some of us. When the DQ had a broken shaft, she had to cruise a month before she got back up to Jeffboat to install the new one. This meant a month of being part of a tow. She was lashed along the starboard side of a deck barge. I was running pilot, and had the responsibility of keeping an eye on what was in front of the towboat pilot's rather large blind spot.

The captain of the towboat was having the time of his life. He was like someone who has a front row seat at a circus. He relayed to me all sorts of observations, with the topper being the naked man who stepped out of his stateroom at night, thinking there was no one around. He also relayed these observations to every other towboat that came into range.

We were told not to go over to the towboat, but there was an obvious trail going from the mid-ship door of the DQ, across the barge, and on to the towboat. You may wonder how a trail can appear on the deck of a steel barge. Never-the-less, there it was. One particular passenger liked to go to the towboat to eat and visit. He did this often. During that month, a lot of us paid visits to the towboat's galley, hence the trail.

Things went along normally during these paddlewheel-less cruises. It was all about the same except for the rather grand hole where a paddlewheel should be. And, unless one resided constantly on the starboard side, most passengers were aware of the elephant in the room on the port side. We made the most of it and had some fun, but I was really glad to see that new paddlewheel.

All the Igert company boats had good cooks, so I can see the attraction for the trail across the deck barge to the M/V Imogene Igert. Today the company does not exist but the boat is still running as the M/V Herb Carpenter, Jr., owned by Consol Energy at Pittsburgh

Comment

Thanks. I wasn't able to cough up the name of the boat or its captain, whom I hope is also still around.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
      Working...
      X