GORDON C. GREENE in movie "The Kentuckian"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GORDON C. GREENE in movie "The Kentuckian"

If you want to see the GORDON C. GREENE in all its glory, tune in to the THIS Network tomorrow evening, Wed. Dec. 5, at 6:00 PM EST, here in Louisville its cable channel 194. They will be showing the 1955 movie, The Kentuckian, staring not only the GCG but also Burt Lancaster.
    I remember when this movie was made here in Kentucky, the movie company moved the boat from Owensboro where it was a restaurant/nightclub to the Green River. They installed a second auxilliary boiler so they could turn the paddlewheel although for the movie the boat was pushed by a small towboat. But, long story short, there are some good long scenes of GORDON and the movie, as I remember it, isn't bad either.

Good movie. Saw it many years ago the first time. Along those lines, has anyone seen the new movie about Lincoln? Previews show a riverboat in the background named River
    Queen, which is probably CGI. I won't see the movie until it comes out on disc.

Comment

Riverboats

Did anyone watch Men Who Built America on the History Channel? It had quite a few riverboats in the St. Louis segment about Andrew Carnegie? They had to be cgi but it showed sidewheelers and sternwheelers. I wonder what boats they were.

Comment

"The Sternwheeler" as a Movie Star

I dug into my archives and found two images of "The Sternwheeler" (formerly the 1923 Howard-built Cape Girardeau/Gordon C. Greene) taken during the summer of 1955 when The Kentuckian was being filmed on the Green River. The boat was then serving as a restaurant, tied up at the foot of St. Ann Street, in Owensboro, Kentucky near the bridge. A retired newspaper photographer I know told me that he grew up at Henderson, Kentucky and that, as a youngster, he rode his bike to the river bank to watch the production of the movie.

As Jimmy said, there are some great scenes of the boat in the movie, which is available on both DVD and VHS. It is easy to purchase on Ebay and elsewhere. Another movie which has a lot of footage of the boat is Band of Angels, starring Clark Gable. It, too, is readily available.

Good "stocking stuffer" ideas for steamboat buffs and buffettes!
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's another image, this one taken in 1957, when the boat was used in the filming of Band of Angels. That's Clark Gable walking across the stage.
          Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X