Win the big Snickers Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win the big Snickers Bar

Attached is a picture of the Delta Queen's officers, ca. 1956. If you can go around the table and name each person and their position, you win the big Snickers Bar.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Reising; 05-26-2006, 01:29 PM. Reason: misspelling

No Snickers (or see-gar!)

Jim, I wouldn't even qualify to win the wrapper! The only person I recognize is the legendary Purser, Robert H. McCann in right foreground. Could that possibly be Capt. Harris Underwood on the left of the table. I just don't go back far enough. I'm be watching for the "answer key". Hope to see you at the Howard Museum on July 1st.

Comment

That's Captain Albert Kelly to the left of Bob. McCann. The gentleman in the center, rear, is Captain Paul Underwood. Perhaps that's Jim Swartzwelder or Terry Beckett to Captain Harris's right. That's Capt. Doc Carr in the front, left, but I do not know the Chief Engineer, the pretty young lady, or the smiling young man to the right of Captain Paul.

Comment

Could the Engineer be "Skyjack" Turner? A name that Bill Prudent often referred to.

Ah yes, Albert Sidney Kelly of the famous, in later years, quote "I Tried to tell them there ain't no water in Brandenburg".

Comment

If only Cap'n Doc or Virginia Bennett had a computer... and used it!

"I tried to tell 'em..." Can't you just hear Captain Roddy telling that story? "I tried to tell 'em, but they wouldn't listen." Several times I have used that expression at work, and the fun is explaining where it all originated.

Comment

Closer to the Snickers Bar

Left to right: Doc Carr ( 1st mate), Harris
            Underwood, Pilot; Jack Cleary Steward and bass player and
            Mary Greene's 1st husband; Mary Greene Cleary; Paul Underwood,
            Pilot and Captain; Still not sure of the next guy; Albert Kelly, Pilot; Bob McCann, Purser; Again, not exactly sure of
            the Engineer's name.
            Last edited by Shipyard Sam; 05-28-2006, 07:08 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Comment

Hey, try the old fashioned way. If you can print a decent copy of that photo, mail one to Doc and one to Virginia via snail mail. If they can both idenify everyone, do they have to split the Snicker's bar, Jim?

Comment

Stab in the Dark

That dark-headed fellow, in back, might be Vic Fine, piano player and the Assistant Chief may be Jesse Armstrong. But, however, those are guesses.

Comment

My guesses, l. to r.: Harris Underwood, Albert Kelly, Jim Swartzwelder, unknown, Paul Underwood, unknown, unknown, Bob McCann. I do not know the lady.

Comment

Now for the judge's decision. Who has the most correct answers? Drum Roll, Please.

Comment

Here's the answer

Sorry to be so late in providing the answer to this weeks puzzle, but was on another computer this past weekend and couldn't remember my pass word.
                      Capt Don came the closest:
                      Left to right.....Capt. Howard Madison Carr, Mate; Harris Underwood, Pilot; Jack Cleary, Steward; Mary Greene Cleary, Hostess; Paul Underwood, Captain; ??? no connection to the crew; Albert Kelly, Pilot; Bob McCann, Purser; and Jesse Armstrong, Chief Engineer.
                      Think of the number of years of river experience that is sitting around that table. (For those who weren't around the DQ back then, that table is in the officers dinning room which was located on the port side aft of the main dinning room. There were two round tables like the one in the picture)

Comment

I'll have to split that Snickers Bar, so Super-Size it, please. Thanks to Her Ladyship, Miss Jane G. for her help. I did have the pleasure, though, to have worked with Mary G. and Captains, all, Paul and Harris Underwood, Albert Kelly, and Doc Carr.

Comment

I must have met Doc Carr much, much later in his career! When I knew him he was a wispy little guy, nearly blind, and with a sour expression.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                          Working...
                          X