American Queen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Queen Question

Does anybody know if the Great American Steamboat Company will be putting those gold back on the AQ.I think people would like to see more than just white paint.
    Attached Files

Rosettes

Those rosettes sure were pretty on her. MAL took them off...so perhaps they are still on the boat somewhere. If not, heres to seeing them come back to her decks!

Comment

Original color scheme

John Waggoner told us at the Howard gathering in September that the AQ would be restored to her original 1995 appearance - I would assume that would include the rosettes.

Comment

Not knowing some things

Great American Steamboat Company might not be aware of all the stuff AQ had back in 1995 including the rosettes.

Comment

uh...

Ever hear of photographs, Matthew? Somewhere on either their Facebook or website, GASCo. mentioned they were using high resolution photos to guide them in returning her to the 1995 appearance.
          I found it, on their Facebook page:

Great American Steamboat Company
          The American Queen is starting to look like her old self. Thanks to some hi-res photos from her commissioning year in 1995, when she still had her red and green decks, were recreating her original look. Let’s just say it takes a ton of scrubbing and tinted primer…not to mention a barge and a cherry picker! We’re covering up all that industrial strength blue that was plastered on her sides in recent years. Y’all better lover her new white paint because after all this work, we’re assured by the team at the shipyard in Sulphur, Louisiana that they “ain’t changing it back!”

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
            Ever hear of photographs, Matthew? Somewhere on either their Facebook or website, GASCo. mentioned they were using high resolution photos to guide them in returning her to the 1995 appearance.
            I found it, on their Facebook page:

Great American Steamboat Company
            The American Queen is starting to look like her old self. Thanks to some hi-res photos from her commissioning year in 1995, when she still had her red and green decks, were recreating her original look. Let’s just say it takes a ton of scrubbing and tinted primer…not to mention a barge and a cherry picker! We’re covering up all that industrial strength blue that was plastered on her sides in recent years. Y’all better lover her new white paint because after all this work, we’re assured by the team at the shipyard in Sulphur, Louisiana that they “ain’t changing it back!”
            Don't count on her looking exactly like she did in June of 1995. Steamboats like people change somewhat over the years. I saw a recent photo of the arched signboard over her forecastle that reads AMERICAN QUEEN. It doesn't look at all like it did in 1995, but with its snowy white paint and shiney gold letters, it looked fantastic. I just hope that GASC puts the eagle back up that used to be below that sign before MAL ruined everything.

When she came out in 1995, in traditional steamboat fashion, on either side of her name above the forecastle Pittsburgh was enblazoned on one side and New Orleans on the other. I would much prefer if those two signs were changed to Memphis and Cincinnati. Not only would a nod be given to Commodore Laidley's Cincinnati - Memphis Packet Co. but also to the old home of Greene Line Steamers, Cincinnati, and the new home of The Great American Steamboat Co., Memphis.

Comment

Judy to say i never heard of a picture of the American Queen with her white paint is nonsense i posted two pictures with her rosettes in my first post.Anyways i found this link with a picture of an American Queen model could this be the builders model that Great American Steamboat Company has.

Pre-Sales Begin for American Queen Cruises «

Comment

[QUOTE=Matthew Cooper;28295]Judy to say i never heard of a picture of the American Queen with her white paint is nonsense

Not what I said, but never mind... the idea is that THEY have pictures from 1995 to go by. Now whether they are following these to the t as Frank indicates they aren't, is another matter.

Comment

Drydocking

On another matter, has the AQ been moved to the shipyard for the drydocking yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Cooper View Post
                    Great American Steamboat Company might not be aware of all the stuff AQ had back in 1995 including the rosettes.
                    Really Matt? With two former DQSC execs at the helm, do you really think they don't know these details?

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                      On another matter, has the AQ been moved to the shipyard for the drydocking yet?
                      Does she even have to go now? When was her last drydocking? If it was less than 5 years ago she might have a few years left since MARAD kept up her COI.

Comment

Drydocking?

I don't know when the last 5 year inspection was, but I was thinking somewhere on the website or Facebook page, or maybe in the Howard speech, it was mentioned that the AQ would be drydocked this winter. Seems logical since they are being so careful and detailed on all the cosmetic and mechanical areas, that the hull would get a once over too after being in the Beaumont water for a couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Cooper View Post

I would like to apologize to everyone on "Steamboats.org" for the post i made back in 2011 about "American Queen Steamboat Co"

Comment

American Queen Steamboat Matthew Cooper

Hi Matthew I imagine Shannon Rouse Head of Guest Relations on the Amer.Queen would like to see your post as she reads steamboats.org.In 1995 June my late parents went on the AQ Inaugural Cruise.Everyone on that cruise had their name put on bronze plaques outside the Mark Twain Room.They forgot my parents name.AfternI saw it was not there in a 2012 cruise I took I started getting after them to do it.Finally after Shannon R came on board in Oct 2014 we finally go them to do it. Took like 28 months but its there and they sent me pictures an any time I am in a city where they are docked I get free lunch for 2 an free walk ons to see the plaque. So they are a nice bunch of people and that is one beautiful boat. Just thought I would toss that in so any remarks you made in 2011 probably will be forgiven an excuse my spelling Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064.When they called me to tell me they were putting the plaque on after all that time I got so excited I dropped the cell phone.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                            Working...
                            X