2012 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

Looking for a great gift idea, or a unique and practical collectible?
    Our 2012 Wall Calendar is Here!

For 2012 we continue with the popular Sternwheel Towboat theme. The new calendar features high-quality photos of sternwheel towing vessels from that bygone era. The vast majority of these photos have never been published before!

Featured Towboats:
    Of the 14 boats featured in the calendar, three were originally steamboats. Only two towboats from the calendar exist today; one is on display at a museum. In the calendar you will read how some diesel sternwheelers still used pitman arms, while others had efficient diesel-electric drivetrains, long before being "green" was a goal!

The 2012 "Sternwheel Towboat" calendar features 13 large boat photos printed on heavy card stock (suitable for framing). Each month features a specific boat along with its history, and a complete calendar page with holidays marked. Featured towboats include:

W.C. KELLY
    CLIPPER
    JOHN ORDWAY
    LOGSDON
    GOUVERNEUR
    NEW LOTUS
    KEYSTONE
    DONALD ZUBIK
    MARY WOODS No. 2
    A.V. CRISS
    LOUISE
    CLAUDE L PRINTZ
    ODESSA
    GILLETTE

This is the 11th annual fundraising calendar offered by the non-profit Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society.

All proceeds go toward the maintenance of the 1923 sternwheel towboat BARBARA H, a National Historic Landmark Vessel.

Calendar Price: $15.95
    Shipping: $4.50 for one; (add $1 for each additional calendar).

Please mail check or money order to:
    HSPS, Inc.
    158 Ashland Cove Road
    Vevay, IN 47043

Online Credit card ordering is available from our web site's Gift Shop at: Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, Inc.

Below are images of the 2012 calendar's front and back covers.
    Attached Files

Steamboat Calandar Reminder

Greetings From New Orleans !
    Thanks so much for the information and the reminder of the steamboat calandars ! My check is in the mail and I look forward to its arrival !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    WA-4141

Originally posted by Steve Huffman View Post

For 2012 we continue with the popular Sternwheel Towboat theme. The new calendar features high-quality photos of sternwheel towing vessels from that bygone era. The vast majority of these photos have never been published before!

Featured Towboats:
    Of the 14 boats featured in the calendar, three were originally steamboats. Only two towboats from the calendar exist today; one is on display at a museum. In the calendar you will read how some diesel sternwheelers still used pitman arms, while others had efficient diesel-electric drivetrains, long before being "green" was a goal!

The 2012 "Sternwheel Towboat" calendar features 13 large boat photos printed on heavy card stock (suitable for framing). Each month features a specific boat along with its history, and a complete calendar page with holidays marked. Featured towboats include:

W.C. KELLY
    CLIPPER
    JOHN ORDWAY
    LOGSDON
    GOUVERNEUR
    NEW LOTUS
    KEYSTONE
    DONALD ZUBIK
    MARY WOODS No. 2
    A.V. CRISS
    LOUISE
    CLAUDE L PRINTZ
    ODESSA
    GILLETTE

This is the 11th annual fundraising calendar offered by the non-profit Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society.

All proceeds go toward the maintenance of the 1923 sternwheel towboat BARBARA H, a National Historic Landmark Vessel.

HSPS, Inc.
    158 Ashland Cove Road
    Vevay, IN 47043

Online Credit card ordering is available from our web site's Gift Shop at: Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, Inc.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Steve for another great issue! I'll be sending a check for a 2012 calendar to hang in my new office at the Collections Management Facility of the Howard Steamboat Museum!

Comment

Hey Steve,

Will look forward to picking up a couple copies of the new 2012 calendar in a few weeks; one for the office and one for at home. Good to see that a few of the boats featured remain intact, although no longer operational. In your research did you find that Gary Fromelt (sp) still owns the LOUISE? Had dinner with him at S and D a few years ago. I've been on the LOGSDON several times at Dubuque. Never did get to see the MARY WOODS #2. Thanks for all your work on putting these calendars together. It reminds me of all the DQSB calendars I received over the years from Patti Young. I miss getting those every winter too but the HSPS calendar helps fill the gap.

I'll be down for a couple calendars in a few weeks when the creek returns to pool.

Aaron

Comment

RECEIVED!

The mail packet just arrived this Saturday afternoon and delivered the 2012 calendar. WOW! Thanks for the speedy service and for yet another great towboaty calendar. BRAVO!

Comment

That is very fast, considering that we just mailed yours yesterday!

Comment

AMAZING!

Sometimes the postal service is AMAZING!

I was just perusing the excellent array of photos contained in the calendar. Incidentally, the pilothouse of the sternwheeler KEYSTONE (December) was salvaged, restored and placed on the bluff of an estate overlooking the Mississippi at Mile 157.7 above Cairo, which is near Kimmswick, MO. The December, 1976 issue of S&D Reflector carried an illustrated article about the pilothouse and its salvation. Anybody know if it's still residing there? If so, it joins the restored pilothouse of the TELL CITY at Marietta and the Streckfus excursion steamer WASHINGTON on the Missouri as among those sky palaces still in existence albeit somewhat akin to the family axe! Too bad the authentic pilothouse of the Str. GOLDEN EAGLE (formerly the 1904 Howard built WM. GARIG) remains dismantled and in storage at the Missouri Historical Society.

And speaking of pilothouses, the gingerbread trim around the roof of our new replica (in the backyard of the Howard Steamboat Museum) was installed yesterday. It looks fabulous and soon the pilotwheel, whistle, nameboards and other haberdashery will be added. We are considering installing lights a la BELLE of LOUISVILLE style!

Comment

Keith,

Thanks for the extra trivia regarding the KEYSTONE's pilothouse. Rings a bell now, but didn't have it in my notes for that boat (do now!). Seems like I heard that pilothouse/gazebo is no more.. but I could be wrong. Maybe someone out there can confirm if it's still there.

Comment

Keith,
                  "and other haberdashery"--Yoicks, ya mean we gotta wear a suit to visit that pilothouse???
                  :)
                  S'
                  David D.

Comment

Owned by Ben Wells

That pilothouse was owned by Ben and Cath Wells. He was president of Tums Co. The wife and I were invited down to their place at Kimmswick one Saturday to look at the pilothouse. Ben became an avid boat watcher and had a scanner to listen to the boats and bought an Inland River Record every year to keep up. That must have been 25 years ago. Both have passed away. I have no idea of the condition of the pilothouse or even if it is still there. This old former Union Barge Line deckhand had few opportunities to hobnob with St. Louis society but they would call every time they saw a boat not listed in the IRR.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, Dan! I found another reference to the pilothouse in the S&D Reflector, telling of it being purchased by Eileen Daily -- and then the discovery that it just wouldn't work and was again sold. It would be nice to know if the old pilothouse still exists. Did you take any photos of it during your visit with the Wells family?

Comment

MORE on the KEYSTONE pilothouse

Herewith are several images showing the pilothouse of the sternwheel towboat KEYSTONE. It was rumored that the double circle pilotwheel came from the steamer OUACHITA, which ran Pittsburgh-Cincinnati and later in the Cincinnati-Louisville trade until purchased by the Greene Line in 1936 and dismantled at Jeffersonville. The pilothouse was moved to the Wells estate in May, 1976. Is it still there ??? WHO knows ???
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great info Keith, thanks! I guess the Greene Line didn't own that pilotwheel very long, as Zubik built the KEYSTONE in '37.

Comment

Just Received My Calendar !

Greetings From New Orleans !
                            Today , the 7th. of November , I received my 2012 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar and as I thought it would , it exceeded my expectaions !
                            My only issues is that in my humble opinion , these calenders are just too nice to hang on a wall or much worst , to write on !
                            First Class Job !
                            Smooth Sailing !
                            Ted Ddavisson
                            WA-4141

Originally posted by Steve Huffman View Post

Featured Towboats:

W.C. KELLY
                            CLIPPER
                            JOHN ORDWAY
                            LOGSDON
                            GOUVERNEUR
                            NEW LOTUS
                            KEYSTONE
                            DONALD ZUBIK
                            MARY WOODS No. 2
                            A.V. CRISS
                            LOUISE
                            CLAUDE L PRINTZ
                            ODESSA
                            GILLETTE

HSPS, Inc.
                            158 Ashland Cove Road
                            Vevay, IN 47043

Comment

Thanks for the compliments and continued patronage! Our annual calendar fundraiser really does help us keep the old gal going.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X