The MARTHA MAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MARTHA MAC

I believe the name of a right handsome towboat to come up through the Cincinnati Harbor this afternoon was the MARTHA MAC. Can anyone tell me about her?

You are right, Frank, she is a very handsome boat. The MARTHA MAC was built at Nashville Birdge Co. in 1964 as the ANN KING for Mid-America Transportation Co. of St. Louis. Jerry Tinkey, retired Port Capt. and executive for Ingram Barge Co. decked on this boat, I believe, and then rose to executive ranks at Mid-America before they sold out to Mid-South (now United Barge Co.) in the 1980's. She was renamed JUNKO HARTMAN in 1894 and MARTHA MAC in 1991.

There used to be many of these Nashville boats running around, and they are disappearing one by one. A good example of river history being lost before our eyes.

In my humble opinion, the MARTHA MAC is one of the best-looking boats ever built. Nashville Bridge Co. used the same basic design for all of their boats from the late 1950's until they quit building boats in the late 1970's. Among the last big boats they built was the JIM BERNHARDT for Wisconsin Barge Line, 10,500 h.p. and now the AMERICAN HERITAGE of ARTCO, the river transportation arm of Archer-Daniels-Midland Co. NABRICO always put quite a bit of deck sheer in their designs, adding to the beauty.

The m/v AUDREY FOUTS was the featured boat in the book "Between the Saints - Louis and Paul" by Kathy Flippo. The AUDREY FOUTS is as close to a sister boat as the MARTHA MAC has, being 10 feet longer. Kathy's book is a pretty good read, and tells a good bit about the boat as well as being a good travelogue. One thing I would not like about the boats is that they had filtered river water in the showers and commodes, a la DELTA QUEEN in the 1970's. That may have been changed by now.

All of those NABRICO boats were very well built and were fast, owing to their hull designs. However they are not known as very good backers, and they'll shake the fillings out of your teeth. Some towing companies had NABRICO build all their boats, never considering any other builder or getting any other bids.

If you have the book "Towboating on the Mississippi" by William Petersen, it features several Nashville Bridge boats.

I think Capt. Bill Judd and I need to get together and write an article for the S&D REFLECTOR about Nashville Bridge towboats.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. It was that nice sheer that first captured my eye. Now, I regret that I didn't have my camera along as the sun was just right to get some good photos of her. David T. might have been able to use a photo or two to run with that hoped for future article on Nashville Bridge built boats.

Comment

Capt. Bob, if they shook how did that dime stay on its edge on the stern splashboard of the Jayne Hougland in all those NABRICO ads in the Waterways Journal ?? Also how about those racy ads for the Lady Julie of IOT. We all thought next the WJ would have a centerfold!!

Comment

Capt. Bill, all I know is the 3 or 4 NABRICO boats I rode for Inland Oil were shakers. I overhear on the radio even now pilots complaining about how they shake, especially backing up. By the way, the LADY JULIE was a Dravo Viking boat. I won't even go into that.

Comment

Oops, wrong yard but the Julie was the center of the fuss about a sexy ad, right? If you tell me no, then I'll know my mind is totally gone and I will just let a youngster like you write about the NABRICO story.

Comment

Fortunately for me, your mind is NOT gone! The JULIE was the focus of the ad campaign, and I will be contacting you shortly for your help! ;-)

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X