American Queen's new paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Queen's new paint job

Does anybody know what colors the Great American Steamboat Company is painting the American Queen besides white.

AQ paint scheme

Look at pictures of her in her first year. That's what they are returning to. So in other words: white white white, and steamboat red trim.

Comment

Eagle and Stars

I hope they give her back her eagle and the line of stars at the stern.

Comment

AMERICAN QUEEN update

I just came by the AMERICAN QUEEN at the Calcasieu River/I.C.W. intersection. The blue paint is still there. As previously reported, teh stacks are (still) off, and the wheel is off as well. I could not see where the wheel was from my vantage point, but was fighting a 15 m.p.h. crosswind with 1,000 feet of empty barges. What I could see, teh boat looked pretty good!

Comment

John Waggoner spoke at the Propeller Club Monday night with an update on the AMERICAN QUEEN. He said they have been quite pleased with the interest in the boat....over 500 calls a day coming into the information desk. The most popular trip so far is a combination of two one week trips......St. Paul to St. Louis and St; Louis to New Orleans. Seems like a lot of folks want to go the length of the Mississippi.
          Right now the boat is having machanical updates...generator work, electrical up dates, out drive rebuilding, etc. Next the boat will be moved to Bollinger for drydocking and underwater inspection and/or repairs. Then off to Nola for final spiffing and outfitting.
          Sounds like they are right on schedule for starting next spring.

Comment

AQ potpourri

The various other incarnations of the DQ Co. would occasionally have the schedule set up so one could go the length of the Mississippi - but almost always only downbound. While that would seem natural, I always preferred going upriver, as the scenery got more beautiful the farther north we got. The only time I did the whole length at once was in 1976 on the DQ, and it was 3 trips: New Orleans to St. Louis, St. Louis to Dubuque, Dubuque to St. Paul. The MQ's last UMR trip, in fall 2006, was supposed to be a St. Paul - New Orleans route, but the 6 day 20 hour 7 minute boiler layup here in Davenport killed that one. They finally made it to Natchez, with bussing to and from St. Louis for those passengers who just booked St.P-St.L or St.L-NOLA. It is a possible trip because you have major cities at each end. A length of the Ohio would run from Pittsburgh to Cairo, and needless to say Cairo isn't a transportation hub other than for towboating. Of course, with the new bus fleet, it could be done with bussing the passengers to St. Louis for flights home.
            Tonight is the first web broadcast, which most of you have probably subscribed to. It should be interesting, as have been the various presentations many of us have heard already from John Waggoner, Kitty Ruxton, and others.
            Did anyone notice this in the GASCo.'s page about the traveling brunches they are holding to woo travel agents back to the fold? :
            "Considering the troubled recent past of America’s riverboat business, Kyte is gratified that, so far, ‘We’ve skated on a warm glow of approval.’ He credits GASC’s many agent-friendly policies and cited the support of those ultimate fanatics at Steamboats.org, who have been ‘rightfully embittered and cynical’ in recent years."
            They started holding these brunches in major cities like Chicago, Dallas, LA and are now planning some in all the river homeports, as they call them. You've got to love this company...they've brought back common sense and have discarded the haughty ivory tower perch from which the previously unnamed ownership glowered at us peasants!
            As I was walking the old folks' mall route this morning, I stopped into a travel agency and asked if they had received any information from the GASCo. Yes they had, but they didn't have any printed material yet (get that paper and ink brochure out sooner rather than later). When I mentioned the traveling brunches and working to get the travel agents back, the lead gal muttered: "They've got a long way to go on that." I assured her that no one in this company was affiliated with the last incompetent and irresponsible ownership, and that most in fact go back to the better days of the DQ Company and that they certainly do know both the travel business and steamboating. Maybe that is something grassroots that we can do - let your local travel agents know that this company has no relationship to the previous one, that it knows what it is doing, and that it is both TA and passenger friendly.

Comment

Judy, where did you hear about the web broadcast? I can't find it on the GASC website.

Comment

I know that modern marketing has rules of thumb about branding identification, logos, and such. Wouldn't it be a great link to their past, though, if they used the old Greene Line house flag as their new house flag? It's perfect for those whom think outside of the box! A white, green tipped pennant with a green capital G, to me, makes sense. It would be a fantastic way to link the 121 year history of the Cincinnati, Pomeroy & Charleston Packet Co./Greene Line Steamers/Delta Queen Steamboat Co. to today's Great American Steamboat Co. (And, yes, if M.A.L. is counted it is 121 years) A brief history of the predecessor companies and why the Greene Line flag is flown today would make for an interesting tale by the Riverlorian.

Comment

GASC Brochure

I got mine yesterday and it was great. The same as the info in the website, but felt good to hold in my hand. It allowed me to take it down to the Delta Queen to show. Everyone loved it and I was speaking to some local tourist looking for a differant kind of vacation. I gave him my brochure and he went gaga over it and said it was the perfect vacation he was looking for. So it is a very good brochure and would be good if there was more advertising here in the city about her return.

Comment

Check your email

Originally posted by Jon Tschiggfrie View Post
                    Judy, where did you hear about the web broadcast? I can't find it on the GASC website.
                    I got an email, which I just forwarded to you, hope you'll find it in time.

Comment

AQ brochure

Yes, the AQ brochure arrived here today via pony express. While it is what has been online, it is great to have something in hand, which I didn't have to print out myself. Its only 14 pages and covers, but it has all the necessary information and is illustrated with good pictures. Thankfully the couple in the white bathrobes in the online presentation were left out - that's too much of a bad memory of M.A.L.. This is a quality product, with American, Heartland, leisurely, authentic, amenities, service and did I mention American and Heartland, ingrained in the narrative and presumably in the minds of brochure readers now. Well done!
                      If this is reprinted, you might correct the map from Oak Valley to Oak Alley and move Houmas House off of Lake Pontchartrain over to the river, but that's a trivial thing only those criticial .orgers would notice!

Comment

I thought we were discussing about American Queen's new paint job brochure talk is for Sally Harris thread GASC brochure.

Comment

Side tracks and covenience

Side tracks and convenience first come first serve. Just as there is AQ post in save the Delta Queen, you may find sidetracks and ramblings. As for her paint she is still blue and in process of returning white. So back on paint.

Comment

Does anybody know what location they will be painting the American Queen like will they be doing it at the ship yard where she is now or the next one.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                            Working...
                            X