First pictures from the "Queen of the Mississippi"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Calliope

Does anybody think Queen of the Mississippi will have a Air Calliope like the Twilight and Spirit of Peoria have.

Comment

*RE: Calliope for ACL's new boat.*

Steamboating colleagues:
      Discreet inquiries were put out early this past summer to me by the company RE: Calliope for ACL's new Q. of M. Information, with specs, related equipment: 15 HP Bryan propane boiler, valves, 50 gal. propane bottle, pressure regulator, flexible piping etc. was forwarded for their consideration RE: the advertised 'Nichol' calliope from the Str. WASHINGTON first played by Leslie Swanson, 1928. The listed price was/is, "buyer collects" $105,000. No word has followed. A few sage heads opine the 'Nichol' instrument would 'possibly...maybe...perhaps'...have to be played with compressed air due to existing regulations/logistics. Who knows more and what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
      Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

Dale,

The Str.WASHINGTON calliope is still a mechanically-operated (tracker) calliope, 100% historically correct. It would be a crying shame for American Cruise Lines to change it to be air-operated, or change the playing system to accommodate modern performance artists needs (or, God forbid put a player unit on it!). There are but three unscathed original Thomas J. Nichol, Cincinnati, OH. built instruments still known to exist, this is one of them.

There were 4 whistles added to this instrument in the late 1980's by Dave Morecraft. The owner wanted them added for his use aboard the Str. SUCESS in Holland. Later, Dave built a brand new steam calliope for the SUCESS so the historic one could be returned to the States (It is currently in Sarasota, FL for sale). When he added the whistles he used great care to make them removable to restore the instrument at a later date, should someone want to do so.

The Str. WASHINGTON calliope was built as a 28-note instrument. In it's current guise it is currently a 32-note chromatic instrument. The keyboard is brass, as were all the original instruments. Like the AMERICA calliope wagon and Captain Gabriel Chengery's AVALON calliope (the other two historically original Thomas J. Nichol calliopes) it is one of the only tracker calliopes playable in America. A country which had well over 100 of these instruments playing on any given day less than 100 years ago.

If they want anything to do with this instrument at all, I highly suggest they call Dave Morecraft, as he knows the instrument intimately. Letting others play with it could risk its historical authenticity and it could end up like the poor instrument on the PRESIDENT, parted out all over the world and ruined by a botched up electrification project.

Of course, for what they would need, I am sure Dave would be glad to build them a new instrument for much less money and it would be much easier to make such an instrument meet the modern requirements of the United States Coast Guard.

I can't imagine they will find people who know how (much less have the fortitude necessary) to play this instrument, as it takes a specific touch and is extremely hard and laborious to do for any length of time. It would be very sad to see the instrument mounted on the vessel and not be used, or for that matter languish in the elements for the sake of being seen.

I pray this report is not correct, or if it is they take the time to contact Mr. Morecraft about getting it done right. There are many other options out there for this modern boat which would not risk the desecration of a National Historic Treasure for the sake of a "look".

Travis

Comment

I'd put money on David Morecraft coming up with a fine instrument for a heck of a lot less than the asking price for the WASHINGTON's old calliope.

Comment

*RE: 'Nichol' Calliope etc.*

Steamboating colleagues:
            Tavis posted one fine history with comments on the 'Nichol' calliope with all of great interest and if anybody knows--it's Travis. I agree totally with Travis and Frank. Morecraft was mentioned in my return information to ACL. What government regs are on steam for 'any' calliope on the new Q. of M. unknown to me. That's all I know. We shall see. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
            Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

A can of worms.

Unless the boat already has a boiler, forget about steam. Regardless of size or use, you would have to have a code boiler installed to CG regulations, inspection, blah, blah, blah or $,$,$. The Q of M probably will have an air compressor somewhere anyway.

Comment

If a Steam Boiler is to be used on a new passenger vessel, it has to be submitted to the USCG in the original drawings and intent, before construction begins..
                It is almost imposable to put a steam boiler on a existing passenger vessel..
                And Thanks everone for your kind words.. :)

Comment

American Cruise Lines said she would have 2 large hydraulic motors so i dont think it will be steam powered.

Comment

A Minor Miracle

Our Graceful Ghost was never inspected as we figured it would never pass, but the new owner was forced, by extenuating circumstances, to get an inspection. For some unknown reason, they passed the boiler inspection, with a few modifications. The CG must have gone easy on the new owner, although he had to do some serious, but needed, hull work, mostly for stability. I never, never had any desire to make that boat an inspected vessel, it was not built to be a tour boat, but we made sure it was a safe boat and applied as many of the regulations to its operation as we could.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X