First pictures from the "Queen of the Mississippi"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pictures from the "Queen of the Mississippi"

Thanks to Richard Peters we can present some first pictures from the Queen of the Mississippi as she's been built at the Chesapeake Shipyard in Maryland.

Avid steamboat cruisers Richard Peters and Sid Sidler had the privilege of getting a private tour by Charles Robertson, President of American Cruise Lines, just a few days ago and sent us some pictures: River Cruise News » Building the Queen of the Mississippi

Hey Franz,

Thanks for sharing these with us. Looks like "She's" coming right along. First thing I noticed was how narrow the decks appear to be. I wonder if they plan to have deck chairs or if these decks will be made into private veranda's? Please keep the pictures coming. Looking forward to see the big red wheel soon too!

Thanks again for sharing these with us!

Aaron

Comment

Aaron,

have a look at the deck plan: American Queen Decks Plan

The upper two decks will be completely open decks, no private verandas. and a calliope bar aft on the upper deck. On the lower two passenger decks there will be private verandas towards the paddlewheel and open decks to the head of the boat.

From all what I've seen from and heard about the Queen of the Mississippi, she'll be a really fine boat.

Franz

Comment

Ha Ha Franz,

I think your working too hard. I got to looking at the deck plans and saw JM White dinning room, and said wait a minute, the AQ has a JM White dinning room. Then realized I was looking at the AQ's deck plans and not the QOM. Haven't seen deck plans for the QOM yet so if you have them I'd love to see them. I can't imagine how anyone on those lower decks could have a chair outside their rooms with the decks being so narrow it would be tough for anyone to walk around them with chairs on deck. Glad to hear the upper decks will be more open. Thanks for sharing new information on the QOM with us. I'm excited to see her in person.

Aaron

Comment

I found a picture of the deck plans for the QOM and yes what I suspected is true. The first three decks all have private verandas which explains the narrow decks.

Here's a link:
          American Cruise Lines Small Ships

What's everyone's thoughts on the private verandas? I think I'd prefer to be able to walk all the way around all but the first deck.

Aaron

Comment

Balconies

To me, that was the worst feature of the MQ: very little outdoor viewing space and walkable decks. Personally I want to see the whole river, not just one side, and I like to socialize with other passengers. I never could afford a balconied cabin anyway, but I wouldn't want it if I could. I talked to several MQ passengers over the years who didn't spend much time on their balcony simply because they wanted to see the whole river. Another factor: you could ride the MQ on your balcony and never see half the passengers - you'd only encounter others in your dining shift. But perhaps today, with the astronomical prices the QoM is listing, they'll draw a clientele that chooses to be aloof and among their own company only. But that isn't steamboating, er, dieselboating, in my mind!

Comment

Aaron, you're completely right; how stupid of me ;-) Definitely, I have to reduce my work load ...

Comment

some more pictures of the Queen of the Mississippi

I've just got some more pictures of the Queen of the Mississippi - from the same day, Sept 26, 2011, taken by Laverne 'Sid' Sidler. He was on the same tour of the shipyard as Richard Peters was.

here are the pictures he just sent me: River Cruise News » Building the Queen of the Mississippi

Thanks, Sid, for the great pictures!

Comment

Pitman arm hole

That Pitman arm hole in the picture looks to small.

Comment

Though that is identified as a pitman opening, I would be quite surprised if they put pitmans on this boat to drive the wheel.

Comment

You and a lot of other people would be quite surprised. So, what is it? Looks like a pitman well in front of it. Sort of. Would be nice to know a little more about the mechanics of this vessel. Hope it's not just part of some sort of phoney rig. Certainly they would have the good sense that God gave a goose to not do something like that.

Comment

Don't want to start any rumors but what if this is an entirely new propulsion system utilizing the same magnet technology they use on some of the really fast roller coasters. This would certainly live up to the "faster cruising speed" marketing campaign. Might throw the wheel right off the back of the boat.

Would be neat if they could incorporate a pitman into a diesel electric set up, similar to some of the Charles Ward built diesel sternwheel towboats.

Agree the cut outs are a little small unless she's got 6" cranks.

Inquiring minds want to know, what type of propulsion will she have?

Aaron

Comment

I have a few questions about it myself. If they are pitman openings, they are awful small. I am wondering if infact this isn't an opening for hydraulic lines to go to a vane pump on the wheel. Lots of those LaCrosse-built Skipper Liner boats which use vane pumps on the wheel have an opening in about this same location. Just speculation...but, it is the best educated guess I can give. I am wondering if she will have props to augment the wheel to keep up those speed claims. My money says she will have both wheel and some sort of prop drive.

Comment

Never hurt's to ask American Cruise Lines what they will use to turn the paddle wheel and i hope she doesn't have props.

Comment

I read somewhere that the new Queen will have Z-drives, which fits-in with how they are promoting the boat to be "fast". I presume that however they might power the paddlewheel, the wheel's propulsion will only be supplemental to the Z-drives (like the AQ and Belle of Cincinnati). The small pitman opening would work if the location of the crosshead was further aft than usual.. Or if it will be a false pitman with a pivot point just within the pitman opening.. Will be interesting to see it when completed.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X