Sad Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad Note

I just recived some sad news. Mrs. Glenna Hendricks, Gift Shop Purser on the M.Q. passed away today. She was the Mother of Denia Hendricks Davisson, also an M.Q. Purser, and Grandmother of Adam Davisson, D.Q. and A.Q. Deckhand.
    This is one of the few cases of 3 generations having all sailed on the Steamboats in the "Modern Time".
    I do not have any information at present concering arrangments. Glenna resided in Milford, OH.
    I both worked with her on the M.Q. and visited at her home when visiting with her, at the time, Son-in-Law Capt Ted Davisson. I remember her as being a very down to earth person, quick with a smile and I don't think she ever met a strange. This served her well on board the M.Q. and I'm sure brightend many a passengers day.
    I also remember her being one of the "older" crew members aboard the M.Q. and yet had more energy than many of the younger crew members.
    My condolances to Denia and Adam and I encourage any who worked with her to add their memories to this thread.

My sincere condolences to Denia and Adam. I remember Glenna - met her only a couple of times, but, like her daughter, she was a vibrant and joy-filled woman who brightened the lives of those she met.

Comment

*'Passages' RE: Mrs. Hendricks*
      Fred, Jazzou & Steamboating colleagues:
      Many thanks, Fred, for the 'heads up' on the passing of Mrs. Glenna Hendricks. I had no idea of the extended family links; yet, that's what river people are all about. Three generations on a steamboat something for the record. I remember Glenna. She met a lot of people with a keen mind, pleasant demeanor of high professional stature. 'When you serve the public you serve one of the toughest task masters of all' was once said. The tourist steamboat business a kalidescope of innumerable names, faces to be courteously greeted and, in some cases, handled with kid gloves. Each 'trip' a new group unlike the previous run or the next. Glenna did that above and beyond.

Capt. Tom Greene had a great closing comment ending each cruise on the GORDON C. GREENE, DELTA QUEEN along the following words. "If you had a good time aboard tell all your friends about it. If you didn't, then keep your mouth shut." I'll put Glenna on our church prayer chain tonight after choir practice. The river is family first, last and always. Let's keep that bright light burning. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
      Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

A Sad Note Indeed !

Greetings From New Orleans ,
        A sad note indeed ! Glenna Hendricks was a class act of the first degree and will be missed by all that knew her !
        She was certainly a rich addition to the crew and passengers alike on the Str. Mississippi Queen and was just a pleasure to be around .
        My son , Adam informed me that services and visitation will be this Thursday from 2 to 4 at the Evans Funeral Home in Milford , Ohio where she resided with her daughter , Denia Hendricks . It is also my understanding that her wishes will be observed and be buried in a family cemetery in Montecello , Kentucky .
        Glenna was liked by all that knew her and she and I enjoyed a special relationship between Mother In Law and Son In Law . I like others that knew her will miss her !
        Smooth Sailing !
        Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Fred Carmichael View Post
        I just recived some sad news. Mrs. Glenna Hendricks, Gift Shop Purser on the M.Q. passed away today. She was the Mother of Denia Hendricks Davisson, also an M.Q. Purser, and Grandmother of Adam Davisson, D.Q. and A.Q. Deckhand.
        This is one of the few cases of 3 generations having all sailed on the Steamboats in the "Modern Time".
        I do not have any information at present concering arrangments. Glenna resided in Milford, OH.
        I both worked with her on the M.Q. and visited at her home when visiting with her, at the time, Son-in-Law Capt Ted Davisson. I remember her as being a very down to earth person, quick with a smile and I don't think she ever met a strange. This served her well on board the M.Q. and I'm sure brightend many a passengers day.
        I also remember her being one of the "older" crew members aboard the M.Q. and yet had more energy than many of the younger crew members.
        My condolances to Denia and Adam and I encourage any who worked with her to add their memories to this thread.

Comment

Ted, sympathy to your family at this difficult time.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X