Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just A Few Local & Current River Pictures !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Davisson
    replied
    A Few More Local River Pictures !

Greetings From New Orleans ,
    Just a few more local River pictures !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Ted Davisson View Post
    Just a few more local River Pictures !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ted Davisson
    replied
    Just A Few More Local River Pictures !

Just a few more local River Pictures !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Greetings From New Orleans ( Actually Baton Rouge )
    Just a few local and currrent River Pictures of an inballast ( empty ) crude oil tanker in the process of making its departure from the Exxon/Mobil refinery in Baton Rouge .
    I was on another ship directly in front of the ship in the pictures and got these shots as she was turning on a " Left Helm " , off of the Exxon dock and starting her long trip down the Mississippi River to the Gulf Of Mexico .
    What I find interesting in the first two pictures is the maneurviability of the modern day " Tractor Tugs " that were on this assignment . Tactor Tug is some what of a generic term , but implies a twin screw tug boat with lower unit propulsion systems , without rudders , that have the ability to rotate a full 360 degrees , to allow the tug to operate at any angle . In this picture , for example , it shows the tug boat on the bow of the ship , backing out at a true and full 90 degree angle inorder to literally pull the bow of the ship off the Exxon dock and at regardless of the velocity of the existing river current . The temperature this morning in Baton Rouge was a balmy 34 degrees . Would our good and close friends in the Norther barren and frozen tundra of this country please keep their weather to themselves !!
    Smooh Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Happy New Year , To One And All !
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ted Davisson
    replied
    A Few Baton Rouge Pictures !

Just a few Baton Rouge harbor pictures . Hope you enjoy !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Just a few local and currrent River Pictures of an inballast ( empty ) crude oil tanker in the process of making its departure from the Exxon/Mobil refinery in Baton Rouge .
    I was on another ship directly in front of the ship in the pictures and got these shots as she was turning on a " Left Helm " , off of the Exxon dock and starting her long trip down the Mississippi River to the Gulf Of Mexico .
    What I find interesting in the first two pictures is the maneurviability of the modern day " Tractor Tugs " that were on this assignment . Tactor Tug is some what of a generic term , but implies a twin screw tug boat with lower unit propulsion systems , without rudders , that have the ability to rotate a full 360 degrees , to allow the tug to operate at any angle . In this picture , for example , it shows the tug boat on the bow of the ship , backing out at a true and full 90 degree angle inorder to literally pull the bow of the ship off the Exxon dock and at regardless of the velocity of the existing river current . The temperature this morning in Baton Rouge was a balmy 34 degrees . Would our good and close friends in the Norther barren and frozen tundra of this country please keep their weather to themselves !!
    Smooh Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ted Davisson
    replied
    Negative , No Docking Pilots !

Roger ,
    First of all , thanks for your posting and question . To answer your question , negative , there are no docking pilots on the Mississippi River to speak of . It is also my understaning that " Docking Pilots " , are essentially an East Coast practice and are present in only the major ports of that region . I have riden ships with other pilot associations both on the Gulf Coast and the West Coast and they do not have docking pilots as well . Futhermore , it is also my understanding that the " Doocking Pilots " , on the East Coast evolved from the pressure of the local maritime unions in the respective regions .
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Roger Prichard View Post
    Fascinating as always, Capn Ted, thanks. Does your port have a separate profession of "docking pilot" or do you do it all?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Roger Prichard
    replied
    Fascinating as always, Capn Ted, thanks. Does your port have a separate profession of "docking pilot" or do you do it all?

Leave a comment:

• Ted Davisson
    replied
    A Few More Local And Current River Pictures !

Greetiings From New Orleans ,
    Just a few more pictures of a tractor tug assisting in the un docking of an inballast crude oil tanker off the Exxon/Mobil dock in Baton Rouge .
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Smooh Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ted Davisson
    started a topic Just A Few Local & Current River Pictures !

Just A Few Local & Current River Pictures !

Smooh Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X