X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    rates

and with less crew and service, of course the rates are lower?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    QOW

No one seems interested in the QOW thread I started, but since it is ACL, I thought I'd finish it out here, in case anyone is interested. The Queen of the West has started operations. All entertainment is step on. My old boss on the Empress of the North works three nights a week in the lounge as a step on. I received further information from a former Empress step on entertainer as follows:

"Yeah, it's step-on, but I think only 3 days a week, if that. The stage is gone, and they have replaced the tables and chairs with white couches. It actually looks nice. No bartender at night. People pour their own drinks earlier in the day. Everyone on staff pulls double duty, including the cruise director."

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
    Paul,

Most likely they will travel down the Intracoastal waterway and along the shoreline of the Carolinas and east Florida. Then up the coast of west Florida back into the Gulf Intercoastal to the Harvey Canal into New Orleans.

Travis
    I'm with Steve here on the route in FL. No reason to go all the way down and around, especially since it can get a bit dicey down there. I'm drawing on my experience with the Key West Shuttle boats. They now have only one boat that summers as a whale watch boat on Cape Cod (they used to have two) and the trip between the Cape and Marco Island (or Ft Myers) always went across the Lake. They tried a Miami to Key West run in season but it was too rough, even with a cat. Imagine a paddlewheeler,

Leave a comment:

• Steve Huffman
    replied
    Yeah, they should be able to take the east coast intracoastals (which start at New Jersey) down to Florida, then across thru Lake Okeechobee, up the gulf coast intracoastals to Mobile Bay, then TomBigbee to the Tennessee River. Not sure about height and draft restrictions on parts of this route...

.... Looks like Travis also posted on this at the same time I did! Anyway, it's possible....

Leave a comment:

• inactive user 02
    replied
    Paul,

Most likely they will travel down the Intracoastal waterway and along the shoreline of the Carolinas and east Florida. Then up the coast of west Florida back into the Gulf Intercoastal to the Harvey Canal into New Orleans. Of course, this is assuming they want to start the operation there. It could be they take the Tenn-Tom to another port to start operations on another river/waterway. I guess we will find out when they make it official and publish schedules, etc.

Either way, there are many ways to make it there safely with a shallow draft boat. Their coastal boats all have 6 foot drafts and have made it to Florida safely many times. Not to mention the ACCL/Blount boats who have made it to New Orleans many times with their 5 foot draft.

What'd be fun is to get a job on her and ride her around from Chesapeke Shipbuilding. Perhaps you will get the Cruise Director job you didn't get to do (because of the "renovation") on the MQ and I can come over and be your Riverlorian after all! Or maybe I could be a Assistant? Who knows what will happen...but, I haven't stopped dreaming since I left the river. Dreams are what got me back to the river the last time. I am already excited for them and wish American Cruise Lines the best success on the river...and hope I can be part of it with them!

Travis

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Penta View Post
    Well, the boat will be kinda small. Is there anyway to get to Chattanooga from the Eastern intercoastal?
    Turns out there just might be a way to get to NOLA after all. (see thumbnail)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Purdom View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking Paul. I had a couple ideas but neither one seemed cost effective. That was basically the direction i was going with why build it there.
    Well, the boat will be kinda small. Is there anyway to get to Chattanooga from the Eastern intercoastal?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Purdom
    replied
    Exactly what I was thinking Paul. I had a couple ideas but neither one seemed cost effective. That was basically the direction i was going with why build it there.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazzou Jones View Post
    Because the owner of American Cruise Lines also owns the shipyard.
    And they plan to get it to NOLA how? I'm sure they've got that figured out - just curious.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Jazzou Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Purdom View Post
    Why would they build a Mississippi Riverboat in Maryland? Aren't there enough good shipyards right there on the Mississippi that could have done the job?
    Because the owner of American Cruise Lines also owns the shipyard.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Purdom
    replied
    Why would they build a Mississippi Riverboat in Maryland? Aren't there enough good shipyards right there on the Mississippi that could have done the job?

Leave a comment:

• Carmen
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    Watch for a press release from ACL on either Friday or Monday. No, they didn't buy any of the QUEENS, but it is Mississippi River news.

Now it´s official: see here

Carmen

Leave a comment:

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    If any cruise line is interested in what we discuss here than it's for sure not to get advice. They're all professionals in their job (or in the case of MAL they stupidly extended this notion to steamboats while in fact not having this expertise) and don't take advice on how to run their companies.

What they are concerned about though is the effect on their PR that message boards (and other social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook) might have. It's about marketing. For example it's very important to find the right moment to publish information about a new ship in regards of building demand and of generating bookings at the moment the company needs them to fill the ship from day one.

Theoretically speaking: If there is a cruise ship accident somewhere in the world, hundreds of passengers being evacuated from a burning ship - it's probably not a good idea to come out with a press release about a new cruise ship while this incident is still being discussed in the media. But when there is a big cruise hype around a newbuilt like the Oasis of the Seas, this is probably a much better moment to jump in and get some positive feedback in the wake of an already positive environment.

What I want to say is: Overly negative discussion on a message board, leaking press release information in the wrong moment - all such things can cause damage to a cruise company while they're still doing things right. In worst case it can become kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy: A product fails not because it is bad but because people said it is bad before even seeing it. AGAIN: I'm not relating to the actual cause but want to explain in general what the effects of "social media" (message boards, Twitter, etc.) can do to a product and what they can't.

Let's not have a misconception here: When a company listens to bloggers, Twitterers, message board posters than this usually is not because they want their advice but because they want to control or stop negative impact on their PR strategy ...

So Judy is absolutely right: Let's not overestimate the influence .org has here ;-))

Franz

Leave a comment:

• Paul Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    ... recall our ranting about the blue paint on the main deck of the AQ? How did m.a.l. respond? They added the paint to the second deck too!!!!
    Now THAT's funny! Sad, but funny too.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
    Has anyone else noticed there has been no press release of any kind from American Cruise Line about a new boat of any kind? Nothing Friday, Monday, Tuesday...like it came and went with out notice.

I sincerely hope our carrying on about this and that didn't change their minds about it. Because we NEED a overnight boat back on the inland waters.

Travis
    Travis, I think you might be overestimating the power of .org - we ARE good, but if our 'carrying on' could have caused the cancellation of this new boat, then it wasn't much of a sure thing in the first place... recall our ranting about the blue paint on the main deck of the AQ? How did m.a.l. respond? They added the paint to the second deck too!!!!

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X