Name:	DSCF0057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	67637

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0058.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	67638How do those of us who have lost our jobs on the river keep feeding the addiction we have. Some stay in touch with fellow River Rats, via internet, group meetings, etc. Others "Highjack" their host during a 4 day N.O. visit and make them take them to work. The following pictures are of D.Q. Discovery Guide, Mary Sward, getting off a chemical tanker she rode courtesy of NOBRA # 70. over the weekend.

Others of us just flip through channels on the boob tube, with nothing to do, and decide that the only thing worth watching is the last half of "Showboat" for the umpty jillionth time. That's really getting desperate. (How come those actors keep getting younger and younger?)

Comment

How about clicking on the river web cams just to see where we've been? And hoping against hope to be there again?
      Ginnie

Comment

Please tell Steamboat Mary that as the BELLE OF CINCINNATI went by yesterday, while she was feeding her "Jones" aboard-ship, Captain Ben B. had some very nice things to say about her. BB Riverboats, his family's riverboat excursion company, was duly impressed with her performance on the BoC P'burg over-niter, and young Ben expressed hope that she will be available for the Chattanooga / DELTA QUEEN ride this fall.

Comment

We look forwared to seeing the Delta Queen traveling on the Ohio River in "Night of the Hunter" which can be seen on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel. She makes two cameo appearances during the first 25 minutes of the movie. Unfortunately it is not scheduled through the month of June according to the TCM web site.

Comment

Its Always A Pleasure To Have " Steamboat Mary " Onboard !

Greetings From New Orleans !
            Its always a pleasure to have " Steamboat Mary " on board with me when I make a trip on a ship between New Orleans and Baton Rouge !
            She always brings with her not only a genuine interest of the river but with the navigation of ANY vessel on America's busiest and most trecherous waterway ! She never fails to amaze me with her overall knowledge of not only long forgotton river boats but of her knowledge of the river towns that she would tell the passengers of and of her general knowledge of the river itself ! I am allso impressed with her overall lack of fear to climbing up a rope Pilot Ladder at all times of the day and night and in all weathers ! I know of a few men that have backed away from this aspect of the Ship Pilot profession because of this manner of boarding a moving ship in the Mississippi River ! She is truly a walking enclyclopedia of this country's river history !
            One other nice thing about having Mary onboard with me is that she brings her Side Kick , Capt. Fred Carmichael with her and between the two of us we do a reasonably good job of keeping him in line !!
            Also , just a reminder to one and all if and when your in the Greater New Orleans area , you too are more than welcome to come make a trip with me and see the river from my and " Steamboat Mary's " point of view !
            Smooth Sailing !
            Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Fred Carmichael View Post
            [ATTACH]5257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5258[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5259[/ATTACH]How do those of us who have lost our jobs on the river keep feeding the addiction we have. Some stay in touch with fellow River Rats, via internet, group meetings, etc. Others "Highjack" their host during a 4 day N.O. visit and make them take them to work. The following pictures are of D.Q. Discovery Guide, Mary Sward, getting off a chemical tanker she rode courtesy of NOBRA # 70. over the weekend.

Comment

Captain Ted is so generous to take me on with him, wide-eyed (and wild!). I LOVE going along--and that Jacob's ladder may be the best thing! No, Captain Ted neglects to say that he is himself a student of river history. He can tell you the story of every vessel that sank there, the history of every place-name, the stories of the people who made the river, and the city, what they are. Thanks again for a great time!

Comment

I was not aware that I needed to be "kept in line". Shy, retiring type that I am. This is how rumors and misinformation get spread on the "Sternline Telegraph".

Comment

There is a motorcycle named after your middle name Fred and its pretty fast and wild, and its american made.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X