Field of Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field of Dreams

In my all too short time at DQSC and its descendants, I only went on one tour. And I went twice. The Field of Dreams tour was offered in Des Moines and, being a sucker for all things baseball, I had to go. Of course the stop at the pie restaurant on the way back had nothing to do with it. :O)

At that time, the field appearing in the film actually straddled properites owned by two different farmers. The property boundary ran on a line from third base through the outfield. So the "field" was split in two and run by two different, and feuding companies. One owned left and centerfield and the other owned right field, the infield and the house. It was wierd because the company that contracted the tour was the left and centerfield company. So when we were invited to "play" on the field, we could not use the whole diamond. I actually hit one out into the cornfield. But since I was standing at third base, it was not really a Ruthian shot.

Happily that situation has been resolved and the owner of the house now owns the whole field and in season, baseball occurs. Just as predicted in James Earl Jones' classic "People Will Come" speech in the film, folks show up, bring their gloves and there's always a pickup game going on. For free.

I've attached a link to the story.

Famous Movie Locations: Baseball Field from 'Field of Dreams' (Dyersville, Iowa) - Inside Movies

So, if you're ever in Dyersville, Iowa......

PLAY BALL!!

Paul

Field of Dreams

As close as I live, I've never been up there, but I know people who have, and they have the same impression you do. Was that ever offered as a field trip in Dubuque on the QUEENS? It seems it would have appealed to the passengers.

Comment

Yes, that shore tour was offered both times we were on the UMR. For some unknown reason (since we're both baseball fans) we didn't take it when we were up there on the MQ, and after we signed up for it from the DQ it was cancelled for lack of participants. A taxi driver offered to take us and another couple at a decent enough rate but couldn't guarantee a driver to bring us back so that wasn't much of an option.
      Now we have two dreams. Major one, of course, is to get back on the DQ on ANY river, but it sure would be nice to see that ball field.
      Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
        As close as I live, I've never been up there, but I know people who have, and they have the same impression you do. Was that ever offered as a field trip in Dubuque on the QUEENS? It seems it would have appealed to the passengers.
        Yup. I was working the AQ both times I went. Somewhere out here in cyberspace, there's a picture I took of Phil swinging the bat. His son turned it into a baseball card.

The tour included some behind the scenes stories.

It was quite hot that summer and the corn around the field grew very tall. Almost as high as an elephant's eye. In an early scene where Coster, who is a short guy, is walking through the corn, they had to build him a runway to walk on, or you would not have seen him.

And the final scene, with all the cars lined up in the dark, they hired everyone in town with a car to participate. In the heat, many of them overheated and every local tow truck made mucho bucks tending to them.

Paul

Comment

Field of Dreams is for sale

The Field of Dreams movie site is for sale! Tonight ABC news reported that the owners of the property in Dyersville, Iowa want to sell the 193 acres for 5.4 million dollars. Other links report that the farm has been in the Lansing family for over a century but the current owners, Don and Becky Lansing, want to retire. The sale will be "without stipulations" which means the new owner could plow it under if they wish.

If this is on your bucket list, better make plans to visit. http://www.fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com/[/url]

Comment

If you care to read more about the impending sale of the Field of Dreams, you can access this morning's story in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald at THonline.com

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X