BELLE of LOU Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BELLE of LOU Picture

There is a fine picture of the BELLE in this morning's Enquirer. It was taken at the last Tall Stacks in Cincy...October 2006. It was submitted by photographer Philip Groshong, free-lance photographer of Ft Mitchell. It is the first-place winner in the 10th annual National Historic Landmark photo contest sponsored by the National Park Service. It is a dramatic photo of the BELLE wreathed in smoke/vapor and 'scaping strongly headed up-river from the Roebling Bridge. Vestiges of her image reflected in the river. Visit www.nps.gov/ne ro/nhiphoto to see winners. Attached here are my pix of the BELLE...the last two at the same event...perhaps the same day. In the middle one, Capt Mullen acknowledges MISSIE's whistle salute. The first one was taken on the cold, rainy day of C. W. Stoll's memorial service, October 23, 2005, from the Howard Mansion window...second or third floor. Note that in the last photo, the BELLE is wreathed in smoke from the QUEEN. Cap'n Walnut
    Attached Files

Steam train photos

When I went to the Enquirer page to find the picture(not seeing your link later), I found this series of 21 pictures When We Rode the Rails. I immediately thought of our two RR Jims on this board:
    cincinnati.com | Cincinnati Staff Photos | Cincinnati.Com

Comment

Thanks Judy,
      Those were some nice photos but the captions must have been written by someone who has no knowledge of the subject and doesn't care enough to find the correct facts. Such statements as, "The conductor sits at the helm of his train" are so far off the mark it isn't funny. "Helm" of a train? "Conductor" in the engineer's seat?

Photo 2 shows a smokestack extension I've never seen before. It was obviously taken at the N&W RY Clare Yard with officials looking at it. Instead of finding out what that thing was used for, the caption writer entirely fakes the description by saying, "People admire a smokestack used to funnel smoke away from the engine crew, especially when trains go through tunnels". If that thing had been actually attached to a locomotive, it wouldn't even fit in a tunnel! I'm going to ask some N&W experts about it .

This kind of reporting is typical today. I suspect the editor assigned this job to a junior cub reporterette. I wonder how far off the mark the other captions are in the rest of the pictures on other subjects. The sad thing is that those photos likely had original captions or stories they were used with that accurately described them.

Comment

Amen! Jim you said it all!

Comment

Thanks, Tom, for sharing your fine photos. I well remember when you took the first one from the third floor billiard room window of the museum on that rainy, foggy Sunday when we had the program to dedicate the Capt. C.W. Stoll Memorial Bookcase and Exhibit. Capt. Bill and Becky Ray had just finished beautifully playing and singing "Old Time River Man" (by Capt. John Hartford) which had everybody teary eyed -- when the authoritative whistle of the BELLE blew a long and spine tingling salute, as the boat paused majestically in midriver, amid glorious clouds of steam. Capt. Kevin Mullen and I had planned the whistle salute as part of the program, but neither of us had any idea the timing would be so perfect! It still gives me goosebumps to think about it nearly five years later!

Comment

Keith: Your well-thought out and heartfelt remarks, that day. Bill and Becky's fine rendition of "Old Time River Man" and had you set it up with Kevin on a two-way radio, the lonesome, distant inimitable BELLE whistle could NOT have been better timed! Not a dry seat in the house! Cold, rainy and foggy indeed~! And then Judy was there with the punch and cookies! After that, I felt that I always knew CW...and I never met him. Technically, that's not a very good photo, but it is one of my favorites. Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Salute to CW

Of course the BELLE always blew a salute to the Stolls when they passed the mansion atop Mockingbird, but this salute on that gray day couldn't have been better and more appropriate.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X