ICE on the Upper Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICE on the Upper Mississippi

Here's a link to a web site with some great photos of the Mississippi River iced over at Alton, IL:

Breakpoint Trades

-Jim Herron

Jim , Great Pictures !

Jim ,
    Thanks so much for the link with the great pictures ! It reminded me of the time I was working for Rose Barge Line out of St. Louis . I was on the M/V White Dawn ( all of the Rose towboats were named after roses ; White Knight , White Dawn , Crimson GLory , American Beauty , Pixie Rose , and Scarlet Gem ) and we were on a regular run between St. Louis and Chicage on the Illinois RIver . We were in Alton , at the time and just like in the pictures the river was frozen over and we made a crew change by literally stepping off the stern of the boat and then walking to the shore ! I also remember wakeing up one night because the boat went quiet while transiting throug Peoria Lake ! We were " Mule Training , pulling the barges and tow instead of pushing them through the ice , and the boat went rellative quiet because we came out of the ice and there was no more of the rumbling sound the ice made when rolling under the hull of the boat ! Pretty amazeing I thought at the time that the sound and rumble of the ice was louder than the big GM diesel engines that the boat was equiped with !
    Thanks again for the thread and the link , it brought back some good memories and experiences !
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Jim Herron View Post
    Here's a link to a web site with some great photos of the Mississippi River iced over at Alton, IL:

Breakpoint Trades

-Jim Herron

Comment

Ice on the UMR

Very interesting pictures Jim. I noticed these were taken just above the Mel Price Locks and Dam, so when I was out today I thought I'd see what the river was like some 280 miles north of those shots. As you can see, its not nearly as dramatic, and in fact isn't even frozen over. These shots were taken just above L&D 15 at Oneida St. in Davenport, where the QUEENS docked. The house in the background in the first picture was the home of Col. George Davenport, the founder of Rock Island (not Davenport!). The building in the background of the second picture is the Clock Tower on Arsenal Island, headquarters of the RI District, Corps of Engineers.
      Attached Files

Comment

Below the lock

Now down at mile 480 UMR, just a mile from my house, here's the sunset on the I-280 bridge and some shots showing the ice just on the banks, with the current flowing freely out about 50 yards. This is some 3 miles below the lock, and at the cityfronts immediately below the dam, there was no ice visible at all.
        Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X