Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Dewey
    replied
    Augh!!!! This is so frustrating--with Linda going back to school, and me on furlough, we just can't fork up the $$--not even on our cards (which are still paying off 2008's adventures); and this sounds like it will such a great time! Maybe I'll do some gold panning in the creek--ya never know what might show up.
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Reserve as a RRR

I just got an email from Alice in the office. She said they are getting some reservations from people who haven't mentioned the RAMBLING RIVER RATS, and of course it is possible that others are booking too. But we are getting a group discount, so when you book, please tell them you are with the Rambling River Rats group. If you have already booked and didn't mention that, please call them back soon to add that. According to my listing, we have 17 definitely signed up, with 5 more considering it. I have not heard one way or the other from about a third of the people I originally contacted, so I assume there might be more interested. If I didn't email you, and you want more info, write me at wzc8491@aol.com By the way, that address often comes up as spam and isn't recognized by many, but those are the marine radio call letters for the NATCHEZ.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    RRR repeat roster

After reaching just the past RRR participants, we've gotten 14 people signed up already or contemplating doing so. I have just received email addresses for others who may be interested and will be contacting them this weekend. But there is no way for me to contact everyone who might be interested in this trip, so I hope you readers can spread the word also. I'd be happy to give more info via email or phone. July can't come soon enough!

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    OOps

Sorry JoAnn, I forgot. I guess that explains why that photo was still available for me to post! When I try to post one from this summer, it won't let me, saying that the picture has already been posted. I remember we were all surprised that you could actually stretch out and relax that much, considering your nonstop work for the DQ last year. Because they limit the load to 120 passengers, there is plenty of space to stretch out, both inside and outside. We had one couple who preferred to sit in the airconditioned dining area and watch the scenery pass by, and a few others who even took their meals outside so as not to miss a minute of the sun and scenery.
    I should mention that this trip includes 2 locks on the Illinois, and 2 on the Mississippi, one of which is the newer Melvin Price Locks replacing the old 26 bottleneck in Alton. And if you like lift bridges, the Illinois is the place to travel, I've never seen so many.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bruno Krause
    replied
    The picture of Jo Ann sorta sums it up, so cool....

Anybody reading this...this is a GREAT trip, damn we had good laughs last year...No, it ain't the DQ/MQ/AQ and doesn't pretend to be, but trust me, coming from a DQSC purist, this is worth the time/money...smaller boat, but same "philosophy" of crew/passenger relationship as the good ol' days, quality of food/beer/entertainment are close, trust me, we never went hungry...and the Illinois is just perfect...

Pete, first rounds of beer are on me, my friend...take a ride and convince me a Buick Roadmaster is the best car in the land :-)

Leave a comment:

• Jo Ann Schoen
    replied
    Awe, Judy, you promised not to post that picture. But then, isn't this what you're suppose to do on vacation? I'm not like my mom - I know how to relax...

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    SoP passengers

I thought that was your mother in the picture, but I'm surprised you knew what she was doing during the trip, considering how you spent your time:

(Now if the Energizer Bunny could relax, anyone can on this trip!)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jo Ann Schoen
    replied
    That would be my mom in the middle of the picture. She made her world debut as a floosy on that trip. Taught by none other than our very own Barbara Hameister.

So glad Bruno and Deb are coming again. We did have a BLAST!

Have been in contact with Brian "Fox" Ellis who says he has some new stories worked up and will be working on more. So if you enjoyed his spellbinding stories and delivery, get ready. He'll have some new fresh ones!

Don't miss the fun this year, come join us. We're the Rambling River Rats when you call for reservations.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Upper Illinois

We discussed with Capt. Alex about going up to Ottawa and back before the 5 day stretch, if we were ever to charter the boat for a 7 day trip. I've never been above Peoria Lake, but I've heard it is more scenic. But I'm not up for the work involved in a charter, but who knows what we might talk the SoP people into for next year, especially with the "New York" contingent aboard again! I can almost feel that sunshine beating down on us now as we lounge on the Texas by the paddlewheel...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete Sisak
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    Please join us, Mr. Illinois River, so we can apologize in person for our mistaken views of that beautiful river! You'd enjoy it I'm sure. It's very informal, and you can take or leave the entertainment, food, drink... and the evenings are very relaxing, especially at the lodge. That seemed to be the favorite lodging, except in the eyes of our youngest member, who found it rather boring, and rightly so. Most of us were at least 3 times his age and enjoyed the quiet nature sounds at a very early evening hour...
    actually the stretch from Peoria-upriver towards Joliet is my favorite on the Illinois! I was fortunate to have taken 4 St Louis/Ottawa Delta Queen trips between 1997 & 2004, and was glad to have been able to see so much of the beautiful river! I've also driven the length of the Upper Illinois many times!

Now if the Rock was only navigable!!! (save for Oregon!)

Leave a comment:

• Bruno Krause
    replied
    The New York contingent is aboard....Great trip, and it looks like they have improved it somewhat for this year. Incredible crew, became friends with me and Deb in two point zero nanoseconds, can ya ask for anything more?...Had a ball last year...I'll call them tomorrow...

And Judy, thanks again my friend...

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Dow
    replied
    Now Judy, I never said I thought it was boring. It was a very peaceful and beautifully-appointed lodge. I just would have rather stayed in town where it seemed like there was more to do for someone my age. And for all who are thinking about this trip, take it from me: I had a great time, even though I was the youngest member by a considerable number of years. There is something for everyone to do, whether it be sit inside and enjoy the storyteller or sit out by the paddlewheel and enjoy the sights and sounds. Every now and then, they would fire up the calliaphone, which was my favorite part lol (also, because sometimes, it would be me firing it up! with the permission of Ms. Bev, of course)
    But, since I will be making a small road trip of my own in the beginning of summer, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it this year, which is ok. One extra seat on the stern to a newcomer who wants to enjoy the Illinois River like I did!

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Illinois River...

Please join us, Mr. Illinois River, so we can apologize in person for our mistaken views of that beautiful river! You'd enjoy it I'm sure. It's very informal, and you can take or leave the entertainment, food, drink... and the evenings are very relaxing, especially at the lodge. That seemed to be the favorite lodging, except in the eyes of our youngest member, who found it rather boring, and rightly so. Most of us were at least 3 times his age and enjoyed the quiet nature sounds at a very early evening hour...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Sisak
    replied
    Sounds interesting...

I have to double check my calendar, as I think I'll be "carferrying" Lake Michigan again, then heading to Door County...I could either push up or postpone that I suppose???

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    started a topic SPIRIT OF PEORIA 5 day roundtrip 2010 details

SPIRIT OF PEORIA 5 day roundtrip 2010 details

Here is the word from the SPIRIT OF PEORIA office regarding the 5 day/4night Peoria/St. Louis/ Peoria(Florence) trip July 24 -28:

COST IS $785 per person , $985 single occupancy - that's for the whole trip, all inclusive!

Day 1 - Peoria to Meredosia, overnight in Jacksonville
    Day 2 - Meredosia to Grafton, overnight at Pere Marquette Lodge
    Day 3 - Grafton to St. Louis - arrive 2 PM tour Union Station, overnight at Pear Tree Inn
    Day 4 - tour Arch or whatever, depart 11:15 for Grafton, overnight at Pere Marquette Lodge
    Day 5 - Grafton to Florence, bus back to Peoria

31 of us Rambling River Rats made the 3 day trip last year, and 11 of us did the makeshift return trip. The SoP people have incorporated that into their trip this year. For a look at our pictures and reviews, please see: http://www.steamboats.org/forum/rive...eport-pix.html
    The great thing about this trip is that you see the entire stretch of the Illinois River from Peoria to Grafton, and the whole Mississippi stretch from Grafton to St. Louis - we leave the boat for the evening and return to the boat in the same spot in the morning - no middle of the night cruising or deadheading the boat ahead downriver. The Illinois is a beautiful and interesting river.

I will be emailing former RRR participants with more details, and if you haven't been on either our SoP or TWILIGHT trips, please join us this year. The Rambling River Rats are a loosely organized? group - no membership dues, travel agent commissions, blood oaths, just a group of people who love to travel the river.

What I need now is for anyone interested in this trip to email me so I can gauge the interest level. I have 30 spots reserved for us now. Please email me at wzc8491@aol.com to either tell me of your interest or to get more info.

If you're ready to book already, phone 800 676-8988 and tell them you're part of the Rambling River Rats. A $50 deposit per person now will hold the spot for you, with the balance due 35 days prior to departure.
    Let's get ready to RRRRRRRRRRamble!!!
    Attached Files
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X