Where is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is this?

This pic of the DQ rafted up with the MQ was described as being in Cincinnatti, but it looks more like St Louis to me. Any help out there?

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files

Paul, that's definitely Cincinnati; the bridge is the Central Bridge, Highway 27. Take a close look and you'll see the pedestrian "cage" which - my guess - is there to stop people throwing waste down on the levee; it's probably not there to stop suicide attempts as the cage stops where the levee ends and the river starts and it's on the Cincinnati side of the bridge only.

Comment

Franz is right it is Cincy. We never landed that near a bridge in St. Louis. is that Bridge still Blue?

Comment

Here's the three, I hope...Cap'n Walnut
        Woops! I got all three of them up but they went somewhere else! Ah, here they are. Tall Stacks, Cincinnati, October 17, 2003
        Attached Files

Comment

Franz: You are quite correct. See pix in my post below (above?). Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Capt Walnut, Picture @ 1 directly above the MQ at the top of the frame the Church of the Immaculata one of two Catholic Churches in Mt. Adams. One German, one Irish and the 'twain would never meet. One could, literally, almost throw a stone between the two. The blank space between the large apartment building on the far left side of picture # 1 is the site of the most famous Cincinnati Incline Plane Railway (Mt Adams incline) [Funicular in Europe]. Streetcars (Route No. 49, ZOO) and later buses were lifted from Lock Street at the lower end to the top of Mt Adams on platforms one platform up one down at the same time.The second Church, tower visible in picture three has been closed for many years. The Monastery Complex, attached to the church is now converted to offices or apartments, maybe both. The Mt Adams Incline closed in 1948 and was smashed flat in 1950. 'Farsighted' City Fathers lost a tremendous tourist attraction.

Mostly hidden to the far left the buildings of the World Famous Rookwood Pottery. During its day the most famous high quality Art Pottery in the World. Today examples are in Museums world Wide. One large example of their work is in the Sealbach hotel in Louisville. The lobby of the Bevo Building of Anheuser Bush Brewery in St Louis is all Rookwood tile.

Rookwood Pottery, signed pieces, command outlandish prices at auctions.

Interesting enough the Schott Family of Coney Island Amusement Park (Cincinnati) were investors in Rookwood Pottery at one time.

Some pieces of Rookwood were sold aboard the Str. Delta Queen as late as 1968. Note however these pieces were made after Rookwood moved away from Cincinnati to either Georgia or Alabama--memory eludes me and tailfeathers keep me planted in chair rather than look it up, sorry.

A new set of investors has purchased the name and has opened a "studio/sales room" in the "Over the Rhine" area of Cincinnati.

Comment

Mt. Adams

Jim: Is the Rookwood Pottery still a restaurant? I had lunch there with Evelyn and Dick Forman years ago. Isn't there a stairway from those churches down to the bottom which is used for a Good Friday procession? I can remember when we'd leave Cincy upbound at night we'd shine a spotlight up on Betty Blake's apartment on Mt. Adams. At one point I believe Betty, her husband Jack, and Doc had an interest in a watering hole on the Mt. Do you recall anything about this?

Comment

Judy: Probably the Blind Lemon saloon...center for intellectual stimulae at Mt Adams and on the north shore generally. Would not be surprised to learn that business of the Delta Queen Steamboat Company was transacted or at least reached the embryo stage within its confines.

Comment

Goodness, Jim! I've done rid on that there Mt Adams incline plane railroad. I believe there was one in the west end and another on Vine Street (north)...both long gone before my time. Was No.49 Zoo-Eden? And, Jim, be sure to tell them who won out...the Irish or the Germans? Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Tom, you are partly right. The bar which was owned in partnership was Dilly's Deli. Unfortunately, it no longer exists, but as far as the Blind Lemon, you're right! Seems to me as if The Greene Line had to end up paying for a musician's drum that Betty put her foot through at one of those "business meetings" there.

Comment

Frank: A innocent like me cannot be expected to unnerstand big business. I mean, I barely got it figgered out that volume was my problem in running my steamboat, MISSIE. I mean, when you consider what the Coasties allow me to charge per pax, the only thing I could figger was to get an additional boat...MISS FORTUNE. I can hardly wait til the season starts to see if my surmise was correct. Greene Line had t' pay for a drum? Whew!! Good thing that the Lemon's closed! Been known to put my foot in it from time to time. Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

The old Cincinnati office of which you speak somehow managed to run the company better than all the subsequent goons that owned it. Go figure. And the only times they were ever on the boat, they were in a drunken haze. Maybe you could understand "big business" if your CEO was a bottle of Scotch. But what do I know. I have yet to receive a 6 figure bonus.

Comment

"And the only times they were ever on the boat, they were in a drunken haze"

Cap...that is what the affectionately refer to as the "good Ol' daze"!

Comment

There were several other "Inclines" in Cincinnati. The price Hill Incline had two separate planes. One being passenger the other being strictly freight. Suggest one visit the Museum Center Bookstore at Cincinnati Union Terminal and check out the Cincinnati Street Railway volumes by Warner/Wright/McNamara. Great authentic information at prices that are quite palatable.

As far at the "battle of Mt Adams Churches", sigh the Irish won out!...

The Mt Adams Rookwood Pottery Building did have a restaurant located within. The restaurant has been open and closed several times under different owners and names. The ownership has changed so many times that I would be afraid to say with confidence that the restaurant is open as I write.

Comment

Are any of those inclines still running? In fact, what about the ones in Pittsburgh, are they still going? Of course the 4th St. is still going in Dubuque...

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X