Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MISSINGssippi Queen?

Hey all,

Has anyone else noticed the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN not showing up on Bridgecam anymore? I noticed a couple of days ago I didn't see her on there anymore. Has she been moved? Is camera at a different angle where you can't see the boat? Just wondering if anyone knows if she is there and we just can't see her.

Mississippi Bridge Cam - NOLA.com

Travis

Travis,

I canĀ“t see her either.

Carmen

Comment

I'll ask Jeff Lashway to take a ride down to Robin St and look across.

Somebody stole my boat????

Paul

Comment

I saw it there with my own eyes 2 days ago. And it looks like it's still there. Hidden a little by the angle of the camera, but I can see it

Comment

OK ? How do you miss place a Steamboat ??? LOL
          Its not on the cam ...!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Morecraft View Post
            OK ? How do you miss place a Steamboat ??? LOL
            Ask an office person where their boat is! One year I called Robin St. and had to tell the person the DQ was the one with just one stack, since she could see two boats from her window and didn't know which ones they were!

Comment

LOLz ,,Thats a good one Judy ... :)

Comment

I have confirmation from a friend of mine who works on the NATCHEZ. it's still there.

Comment

NATCHEZ still there

We might mention a couple of things about the NATCHEZ, since you brought her into this: the New Orleans Steamboat Co. office is now nearer the boat, on Decatur, or is it N. Peters there, by the Hard Rock Cafe. And the NATCHEZ is in her annual winter layup, so right now there is no steamboat running, but that of course is a temporary thing. The last I heard was that the NATCHEZ was staying at the Toulouse St. wharf for the duration of the layup and all maintenance and repairs will be done there. Of course, this layup explains the cold weather, as they always get cold and/or wet weather when exterior painting is planned! How long is the layup, Matt, 3 weeks? By the way, Matt was able to get some time on the calliope during this NOLA visit, since MS. Calliope was visiting her parents in New Jersey, and CCH has a surgically repaired thumb bandaged up.

Comment

For what it is worth, I stayed aboard the Delta Queen on December 30th. There was talk on the boat about the Mississippi Queen having gone missing. That was a week before Travis' post yesterday. Matthew says he saw it two days ago but I found the coincidence of the chatter on the Queen and Travis' post interesting.

Ed
                    Last edited by wedjones; 01-06-2010, 11:34 PM. Reason: correct a word

Comment

Glad the MQ is present and accounted for! I feared the old gal might have "given up the ghost" and sunk out of sight!

Speaking of vessels that are "missing", THE STAR dinner cruise boat that operated here at Louisville, and later at Jeffersonville for some years, ceased business and has been out of sight for some time. Is she tied up at Utica or perhaps in McBride's fleet? Her wharfboat remains on the Jeffersonville waterfront and I noticed it's been listing heavily with the main deck now awash.

Comment

Missing auction info too

Speaking of the MQ, did anyone ever hear anything about the supposed MQ auction back at the end of November? I wonder where her calliope is now, along with the other items they removed, supposedly for the auction. I guess my biggest question regarding the MQ is: what are they waiting for as far as selling her? She is doing nothing but racking up docking fees and probably watchmen's pay, and considering how many vessels are available which are in far better condition than the MQ, surely the owners don't still expect to sell her for huge bucks?

Comment

Keith,

It has been about two months, but I did see the "Star" tied up just inside the mouth of the inlet at Utica. I doubt she has moved as I know she had been there for a while at that point, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Thanks Phillip. Since my earlier posting I have learned, from an article in the Jeffersonville newspaper, that the cause of the wharf barge sinking is due to the power being "mysteriously" cut off and the pumps being unable to run. THE STAR went out of business in March, 2009.

Comment

Keith,

Dave Evanzyk(sp) took her up to Marine Builders last March. She has been tied up to his finishing dock up there since. I remember when the STAR first came down to Louisville (1988), MANY of the officers of the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE looked at that wharfboat of hers and commented on how thin skinned she was then. When I noticed her port side freeboard had increased dramatically, I wasn't one bit surprised

Which brings up a question we had back then....why did the Mayor (Mare? sp) solicit competition for a boat he already owned? Look what it ultimately did to the poor BELLE.

Oh well, what do I know?

Travis

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X