No announcement yet.

Steamin' Into A New Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve: Even if she did, as you well know, there are no palisades on that lower stretch of the river.

Comment

Steve, If you will compare that first illustration in your post with the one that Keith posted at the beginning of this thread you will see that it is a cropped enlargement of the same illustration. I thought that was the one. I've seen the one of the Betsy Ann also. I still don't know who created the sidewheeler painting. Its a great picture, but I think he over did it a bit with the fire coming out the stacks.

Comment

John, I mentioned the artist's name of the sidewheeler painting in my posting - It was done by James Bingham and used for a Southern Comfort whiskey ad in 1955.

It would be interesting to find an actual print of that one.

Comment

The Chautauqua Belle is riding the snow banks into the new year, over the past 48 hours we've had more then 30 inches of snow fall.
          Attached Files

Comment

The True Magazine cover you mention was the issue for February, 1953, featuring the Str. BETSY ANN by Dean Cornwell. The "centerfold" of that issue contained Cornwell's painting of the interior of the Str. TENNESSEE BELLE pilothouse. The originals of both hang in the Ohio River Museum at Marietta. Ohio.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Keith. Din't the Betsy have two stages originally? Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

You are most welcome! Yep, the BETSY ANN had two stages when she began life in 1899 as a lower Mississippi packet, running in the Natchez - Bayou Sara trade, principally as a mail boat and named for the daughter of Rufus Learned, who ran the big lumber mill at Natchez. In 1921, when she came to the Ohio, the BETSY became a single stage boat.

(1) Str. BETSY ANN - first trip up Ohio River - at Gallipolis - 1921
                (2) On the Lower Mississippi - circa 1900
                (3) Later in 1921 - In Emsworth Lock
                Attached Files

Comment

Keith: I think Fred said that they got rid of one because of all the locks on the Ohio. If I remember it correctly, what difference would an extra stage make?? Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Those pix of the cold CB illustrate how I feel today...I just got back from my Rose Bowl trip in southern California where it was mid 70s, to the below zero stuff here...I'm skimming the board before trying to get my finances straightened out and the suitcase unpacked and the Christmas decorations put away. Looks like there's been a lot of deep thinking going on in the steamboat world over the New Year! Not only is my brain frozen from the temperature change, but spending a night in an empty Denver International Airport has discombobulated me too much to post anything thoughtprovoking yet.....

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X