Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Any Steam Powered Over Night Passenger Boats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are There Any Steam Powered Over Night Passenger Boats?

Are there any overnight steam powered passenger boats operating any where in the world? I can't think of any; none that I am aware of in Europe, none in China that I know about, and I know of no steam powered ocean liners still running. I would not classify the BADGER as an overnight passenger boat but more of a ferry. Perhaps someone on here knows for sure.

There are some Nile river cruise steamers still operating. They are heavily reconstructed (think hot tubs and air conditioning), but still steam powered. You have to dig to find references. Most are sidewheel, with one odd split sternwheel.

If you are ultra wealthy you may charter the steam yacht Delphine on the Mediterranean. Horace Dodge’s Steam Yacht DELPHINE She is a U.S. yacht with a pair of reciprocating screw engines. The site says they are quadruple expansion, but I think they are really four cylinder triple expansion.

There is a long term project to return the S.S. Norisle to steam as an overnight cruiser in Ontario.

That is it!

Comment

There are indeed some overnight stemboats on the Nile River: the MEMNON, the SUDAN, the KARIM and the MISR (see www.schaufelraddampfer.de - Ägypten/Nil for details - the web page is in German, but you'll recognize the links to the boats anyway ;-)

Also, there are beautiful overnight paddlewhee steamers on the Murray River in Australia. Unfortunately I haven't paid much attention to these Australian boats so far (which I should have, because Australia has a great steamboat heritage and the boats are somewhat similar to the US boats). But anyway, here is a link that might lead you to more: Murray River Cruises - Cruising the Murray River

Franz

Comment

I was once approached to design a Nile steamer. Nothing came of it. Same for Hongkong.

Comment

The T.S. Empire State is a steam powered, and registered as a passenger ship. However she only steams once a year for summer sea term for New York Maritime, and her compliment is mostly cadets, but she does carry any individuals that wish to volunteer to teach or work while onboard. She has two Foster Wheeler D-type steam boilers that powers a Newport News geared steam turbine for main propulsion, along with two general electric steam turbo generators for electric.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X