2010 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

Looking for a great gift idea, or a unique and practical collectible?
    Our 2010 Calendar is here!

For 2010 we continue the sternwheel towboat theme that was so popular in 2007 & 2009. The photos for the new calendar were graciously provided by the Boat Photo Museum. Their large collection often has multiple photos of each boat, allowing us to pick the most suitable images for the calendar.

The 2010 "Oil-Engine Sternwheel Towboat" calendar features 13 large boat photos printed on heavy card stock (suitable for framing). Each month features a specific boat along with its history, and a complete calendar page with holidays marked. The boats featured for 2010 include:

BENWOOD
    RESOLUTE
    NEMACOLIN
    BOB GRESHAM & HELEN H
    TED B
    MAJOR
    FORT ARMSTRONG
    D.A.B.
    CHE-MON
    KANAWHA
    R.W. TURNER
    TROJAN
    J.B. BATTLE

This is the ninth annual fundraising calendar offered by the non-profit Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society. All proceeds go toward the maintenance of the 1923 sternwheel towboat BARBARA H, a National Historic Landmark Vessel.

Calendar Price: $15.95
    Shipping: $4.50 for one; (add $1 for each additional calendar).

Please mail check or money order to:
    HSPS, Inc.
    158 Ashland Cove Road
    Vevay, IN 47043

Online Credit card ordering is available from our web site's Gift Shop at:
    Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, Inc.

Below are images of the calendar's front and back covers.
    Attached Files

Thanks Steve I've been looking forward to it. on the 09 I read about every boat and I was looking at march and realized that the March boat, Tecumseh, had been the Cotton Blossom at one time down in NOLA. The Capt., Steve Villere, was an old friend and I got alot of steering time on that boat back in the canals. Even got to lock her a few times. So it was a really nice surprize to see her on my calender. Thanks again Steve, I'll be putting in my order later this week.

Comment

Mel,
      Here is a photo of the TECUMSEH when it was renamed and rebuilt as the ROBIN D, and before it became the COTTON BLOSSOM. This photo was taken on 9-15-72 and is courtesy of the Boat Photo Museum. The other boat that is turning a bit fast and heeling to port, is the CLAIRE-E.

Notice how many buckets the ROBIN D has! I'd say too many to work efficiently at faster speeds. Looking at the TECUMSEH's original wheel, it seems they added a bucket between each original bucket. Early photos of COTTON BLOSSOM show she still had this dense wheel, but later photos show they have rebuilt it to have the original number of buckets. I would imagine it performs better now.

Anyone know if there is anything new with the COTTON BLOSSOM?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Huffman View Post
        Anyone know if there is anything new with the COTTON BLOSSOM?
        I don't have an answer to the question, but I am wondering if I am correct that the photo of the ROBIN D was taken in Marietta Oh, with the Lafayette Hotel behind the photographer?

Comment

Bruce,
          Marietta would be my guess also. I don't have any other info with that photo.

Comment

Steve, that particular photo ROBIN D is NOT from my files. I have a similar one taken the same day. The last report of COTTON BLOSSOM I had was after it had been moved to Mandeville, La., on Lake Pontchartrain, east of New Orleans and was removed from documentation a couple of years ago.

Comment

Dan,
              Thanks for the info. My latest notes on the COTTON BLOSSOM are about the same as yours. What I have is:
              "2007, COTTON BLOSSOM operating out of Madisonville, LA on the Tchefuncta River.
              Due to complaints from area residents about where she docks, her COI was allowed to expire on 4/1/07, and she has been for sale."

I was just wondering if anyone had newer info than that.

Comment

The Cotton Blossom is still owned by Tchefuncte River Cruises, aka Frank Crain.
                The vessels document IS CURRENT. Good till 10-31-10

Comment

Bill,
                  Thanks. I see they must have just redocumented the Cotton Blossom very recently. You're really on top of the old sternline telegraph! Hope they start running that boat again next year.

Comment

CB's owner

Frank Crain rides the NATCHEZ on occasion and is a good friend of Capt. Don Houghton. Don was Captain on the CB before making pilot on the NATCHEZ, and he helped Frank in getting the CB recertified.

Comment

If we can find out if the COTTON BLOSSOM is operating, I can put it back in the next edition of the Inland River Record

Comment

Hey Steve thanks for the picture. I really loved that boat she reminded me of the PA Denny. I guess I'm not the only one intersted in the CB.

Comment

That photo of the Robin D. Was indeed taken at Marietta. It was probably on the occasion of the Sternwheel Festival or an S & D meeeting, probably the latter. It was probably the same year that I got a tour through the boat and met Mr. P. A. Denny, who had fixed her up as a super floating home, sparing no expence. I didn't take any photos of the interior, but I remember a great huge chandelier hanginging the main cabin. The wheel had to be a copy of the DQ's wheel. How well it worked I do not know. By the way, I have the Ward plans of the original Tecumseh. If anyone wants prints, contact me for a price quote.

Comment

Oil Engine?

We've done bought and paid for our usual order of at least two calendars, and yes, we still wait for each new month to pass and we turn the page before looking at the featured picture for that month. It like getting a b'day gift twelve times a year, and something to look forward to each 30-31 days.

I have a question... What is an "Oil-Engine"? I imagine they use oil, heavier than diesel, for fuel. What weight oil? Number six? And what about waste motor oil- would that burn in such an engine? Sounds interesting with my interest and background in recycling. Tell me more.

Comment

Sam, I always thought "oil engine" referred to an internal combustion engine that ran on fuel other than gasoline. On USCG form 2692, when filling out the report on a towboat, where it asks for "propulsion" I was always instructed to write "Oil Screw" -- an "oil" engine and screw propulsion. I don't know how this designation got started.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X