Happy Birthday "Captain Fish Fry"! *

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday "Captain Fish Fry"! *

A long and two shorts of the whistle today in tribute to the "three score and two" birthday of Dubuque's David Tschiggfrie, steamboat buff extraordinaire and father of Jonathan "Calliope Kid" Tschiggfrie.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE!!! Keep on rollin' on the river! It's been a privilege and a pleasure to be counted amongst your multitude of friends for the past 40 years and I look forward to many more!

* "Captain Fish Fry" was a nickname for Dave, oft used by Capt. C.W. Stoll and others in the river fraternity.

Happy Birthday, from a little further down the river. Hope you have a good one!

Comment

Same from 'way down in Arkansas -- hope you had a good one!

Comment

Birthday wishes from back east as well Dave.

Comment

Not from 480 UMR

...but rather birthday felicitations from the left coast, Eugene Oregon, some 3000 river miles from 580 UMR! This bd. also means a happy 4th Wednesday every month, I believe!!!!

Comment

Well, Happy Birthday to you, Dave, and we certainly hope that there are many more to come!

Frank

Comment

Happy Birthday, Dave!!!

from the other side of the pond

Carmen, Franz and Leonie

Comment

You stopped shipyard work in two states. HBD.

Comment

*HAPPY B-DAY!*
                  Thanks to Keith for reminding us of your 'B-Day.' Let me add my good wishes. Those B-Days come around fast and add up quickly.

Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River,
                  R. Dale Flick

Comment

Happy Birthday, Dave. Hope you don't mind, but I used your birthday as an excuse not to cut the grass today....guess I worked too long at the Rabbit Hash Shipyard.
                    Seriously, have a great day and many more to come.

Comment

Thank you to all my dear river friends for your kind birthday greetings! Doesn't seem possible that it's been that many years since I put in my first appearance in Dubuque, but time marches on!

Just a few weeks before I showed up in the birth column of our local paper, two monumental steamboat stories had appeared on its front pages. The first one announced "Last of Sternwheel Steamers Visits Dubuque." The first thumbnail below accompanied this story: "When the IDLEWILD, last of the sternwheel steamers to ply the Mississippi in the excursion trade, visited Dubuque Friday night [August 8th] more than 2,000 persons appeared for the ride. However, as the steamer carries only 1,460 passengers, approximately 700 were turned back at the gangplank. First excursion boat to run out of Dubuque since before the war, the IDLEWILD is commanded by Capt. Ben Winters, 84, a veteran of 70 years on the river, who showed his guests a big time Friday night. Capt. Ben, as he is usually called, commanded the first towboat ever to tie up at the Dubuque terminal and is well known to river men, having competed in many races and played parts in many other river adventures." Then just one month later, the front page again carried river news in the banner headline of the second thumbnail, announcing the terrible disaster of the explosion aboard the ISLAND QUEEN. Of course, while these two events transpired, also over at Pittsburgh on the Dravo Marine Ways, the DELTA QUEEN awaited her renovation as Greene Line's new tourist boat. Those were indeed historic times back then, but each of us on this message board has been privileged to share in our own way in making memorable times in the story of steamboating. And I have been privileged to share in these wonderful times and memories with so many of you. Thanks again for your good wishes and for the steamboating we have shared all these years.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dave,
                        Happy Birthday!! Thanks again for all the information you sent me over the summer. It is well appreciated :)

Comment

David ;;
                          A big Happy Birthday To You , on Steam CaLLiope 44,,..:)
                          By the way ,,I did play Happy Birthday on the CaLLiope at the whistle Blow in Marietta ,. Don't know if anyone recorded it ??

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                          Working...
                          X