Columbia River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Columbia River

When wagon trains going to the Willamette Valley in Oregon got below the Dalles they often quit the trail and took to the Columbia River. In 1993 Ben Kern the wagon master on the upcoming Oregon statehood wagon train. which will end Sept 20, at The Dalles for Historic The Dalles Days is interested to continuing on to Portland and the mouth of the Willamette.

Are there Any Columbia river folk on this site that can point the way to getting Ben his wagon and a couple of mules down the river. Outside of Tidewater I don't know what is available on the Columbia. Now I am just an old Missouri River riverrat hiding in a mountain valley in Utah. who does a wagon train about every summer.

Carl Jones

I worked a small sand and gravel boat in Portland. The Ross Isle, owned by Ross Island Sand + Gravel. The style of boats and barges out there are very different than the Miss. River system. This was the only boat of it type I saw while I was out there. Most are very large barges, model bow, with a large boat pushing 1 or 2 unit style barges.
    Ross Island S + G has small deck barges they used. The first time I made up 2 of them, I went looking for wires, ratches, and slings. The Capt. got mad at me and told me "We don't do that Miss. River s**t here, put some damn lines on them and lets go". I would have as many a 3 barges, strung out, on soft lines.
    The plus side was that the Portland and Columbia River area are gorgeous. I was also making $12.50 an hour as a deckhand,in the early 80s. I tried to get a trip with a Columbia Pilot but that went even worse than my first experiance putting barges together.

Comment

I have a recommendation from Capt. Jay Wiek, a veteran Columbia river Captain and friend. He asked me to recommend Mark Marine in Camus, WA, which operates barges in that area. No website, but phone is 360 834 2677.
      Last edited by Keith Tinnin; 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks to Fred and Keith I needed some help. I now have a respectable list of Columbia River companies. Locks on this river are 650 by 86 feet. The run from The Dalles to Portland is 65 to 70 hours.

carl

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X