Live Steam at Howard's Chatauqua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Steam at Howard's Chatauqua

As a gift to the museum from my late sister Harriet, fellow .orger Dave Morecraft will be bringing his STEAM CALLIOPE CIRCUS WAGON to the Chatauqua next weekend May 16 & 17.
    There are four concerts scheduled, on Saturday from noon to 1:00 and from 4 to 5, and on Sunday from 10:30 to 11:00 and from 2:00 to 3:00.
    The Chatauqua is always fun but with the addition of a genuine steam calliope, it will be even better.
    So make plans to come and hear the three professors, Dave, Travis and Keith, make Jeffersonville rock to old time calliope music (perhaps I could get someone to play my personal favorite "Dark Town Strutters Ball).

Infernal Steam Contraption

'Darktown Strutters' Ball.'
    One of the earliest traditional jazz songs to become a standard. The words and music, by Shelton Brooks, were inspired by a ball at the 1915 Pacific-Panama Exposition in San Francisco. The music, in arrangements for band and for orchestra, was first published 18 Jan 1917 by Will Rossiter, Chicago. The version recorded 30 Jan 1917 by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band may be the earliest commercially made jazz record.

'Darktown Strutters' Ball' was subsequently recorded by many pop and jazz artists, including the Six Brown Brothers (1917), the Brunswick Military Band (Brunswick 5170, 1918), Miff Mole's Molers (1928), Trump Davidson (1937), Jimmy Dorsey (1938), and Benny Goodman (1945).

Darktown Strutters' Ball has also been recorded by musicians as varied as Ella Fitzgerald, the Lawrence Welk Orchestra, and the Beach Boys. It was selected in 1963 by ASCAP for its All-Time Hit Parade. It has often been featured in film soundtracks. 'Darktown Strutters' Ball' has been arranged for barbershop ensemble, piano solo, brass quintet, and choir.

Hope this background info helps to inspire someone to play your tune. Captain Hawley always plays Little Alice Blue Gown and Avalon for me whenever I'm around when he is playing that infernal steam contraption.

Comment

How very nice of you!! What a nice thought.

Comment

JIM ;; "Dark Town Strutters Ball" You've got it ,,.. One of my best to play ,,...

SAM; "AVALON" you got it..:)

Anybody else ??!??

Keith and Travis ,,Looking forward to turning over the Keyboard.!.!. LOL,,...YEAH ,,....

Comment

Calliope contribution

I'll be there helping Keith on the second floor of the mansion, so my contribution is freeing him up to play the calliope, since I certainly can't. What about South or Running Wild ? Sounds like a recording session or two to me... I am also expecting to get my Kingfish fix while there for the weekend, hope we can get a group together one or both evenings after the open house. I'll be staying in the hotel complex in Jeffersonville by Kingfish, so perhaps we could also have some 'afterglow' at my place... that's what they call it post-Bix Fest here....

Comment

Young Man's Fancy, please........

Comment

Travis HAS to play the "Delta Queen Waltz," then you can all shed a tear. I sure hope someone records all this, we need a new CD to play.
              REALLY wish we could be there!
              Steamcerely,
              Linda & David D.

Comment

Thats Great Judy, sounds like a plan..
                Looking forward to seeing you..

Bob ; I'll have to work on that one ...

Comment

Okay, and if Travis will be there - ask him to play "Eli Greene's Cake Walk" a la Vic Tooker.

Comment

David, if I could be there, I would surely be making my digital audio recordings for a CD! I hope somebody is able to do it.

Comment

One of my all time favorite songs on the calliope is "My Old Kentucky Home," and somewhat corny but so fun, "Take me out to the Ball Game" But if these are played please make it during the sunday afternoon performance as I have a wedding out of town Sat and will be rushing to get back in time sunday! Can't wait!

Phillip

Comment

If you put it on Youtube, can you do "Goodbye, Little Girl, Goodbye" for me? Thanks, Dave!

Comment

Phillip, looks like you and I will be burning up the highway late Saturday to get back to Louisville, so as not to miss ALL the fun. I've got to be in Atlanta for a Bridal Shower early Saturday afternoon. But I'm thinking I can't miss Sunday at the Howard, so will have to drive back once the shower is over. Sure hate to miss Saturday though.

Comment

David,

Looks like I will be there...so I will play all songs requested. Only one problem...since I still don't have my computer back from the shop...I am requesting any and all suggestions, requests, inquests, and bequests be brought to me in person at the Chautauqua.

It is really problematic for me to get online to see and answer requests at this time...thanks for understanding!

Looking forward to seeing lots of the dot orgers this weekend!

Travis

Comment

The Howard Chautauqua started off a little wet , but the rain stopped around noon.. Sunday is supose to be sunny and 70..
                              Good to see so many old and new friends.. Keith only got to play two songs.
                              WiLL try to post more pix tomorrow, did'nt have much of a chance to take them today..
                              Thanks Again Jim for have us..
                              Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X