Another Steamboat Race - 20 Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Steamboat Race - 20 Years Ago

The DELTA QUEEN certainly will be missed by many today here at Louisville for the Derby Festival riverboat event. Although the BELLE OF CINCINNATI is a great boat with a fine crew, it just ain't the same if it ain't STEAM!

Herewith are photos from the 1989 celebration. It was my privilege that year to be invited by Capt. John Beatty to ride his famous towboat, CLAIRE E. BEATTY, where we had fabulous ringside seats, terrific food, drinks and the company of dear river friends, many of whom have since made their last crossing. How thrilling it was to follow closely behind the DQ and BELLE -- and we even got "sprayed" by the Louisville Falls Fountain! A special whistle salute to the DELTA QUEEN and to the memory of Capt. John Beatty!
    Attached Files

On the BEATTY

I was privileged to ride aboard the BEATTY for the 1985 race, thanks to Ann Zeiger's invitation. Yes, even though that was a cloudy gloomy day, it was bright on the BEATTY, with friends, both human and boat, gone from the river scene today.
    1) heading upstream
    2) back downriver
    3) whoosh, whoosh....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Judy Patsch; 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM. Reason: added pix

Comment

3 more 1985 race pix

1) That's is Lexie and I on the bow observing, photo by Ann Zeiger, who wrote: How about those rollers?
      2) the safety boat at the landing
      3) seen along the way - the GEN. JACKSON being built at Jeffboat
      Attached Files

Comment

What wonderful memories ,,
        If remember corectly,,?? I rode the CLAIRE E. BEATTY at the race in 1988
        with Ann Z., Barb H. and Capt. Beatty ,and Can't remember who all was there.. BUT
        What a seat,...!!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X