What Are These ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are These ??

Greetings From Sunny & Warm New Orleans !!
    In keeping in the spirit of " What We Use To Tell The Passengers " , I have one more for you and when I first saw them myself I too was a bit perplexed at first and then it came to me but nonetheless it certainly makes for interesting conversation . Now , if you guessed water baloons , well you were not too far off ! Hope you enjoy the pictures and enjoy guessing just what these are and what they are used for !
    All The Very Best For The New Year ,
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files

Some type of anchor or hold down ??????? or retardent for fighting fires via air craft ????
    Last edited by Matt Sisak; 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

RE: 'What Are These?'
      Okay gang, I'll 'bite the bait' in thinking the orange objects could...possibly...might...be some kind of containers used in collection/disposal of junk or 'environmental' hazard debris being loaded on barges for hauling away and disposal. The junk on the shore looks like something being torn down or a former production plant. [?]
      Well, what do I know?

Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River.

Comment

Are these containers for the oil spilled from the run-over barge?

Comment

I have two guesses. First is they are inflatable bladders that they put in a sunken vessel, then pump full of air to force out water and help refloat a sunken vessel. Second guess is large bumpers to put between two ships that are lightering at sea.

Is there a Snickers bar riding on this one, too?

Comment

"Hey, Cap, what are those???" as they look up at you with inquisitive eyes. Quick. Somebody come up with something funny to tell the passengers. We're dying out here. Know the truth, tell a big fat lie. Don't have a clue, say something. It would be a dereliction of duty to pass these things and not say a word...

Comment

The below guess to what the objects shown in the picture are was e-mailed to me from a former crewmember. I know that this guess is controversial and I am not the author (its way too clever for me) but quite frankly I agree with it and it made me smile in a sad kind of way...this is an exact unaltered quote:

"They are the surgically removed nether appendages formerly belonging to (unnamed) executives of (unnamed) companies which contributed to the demise of steamboatin'. I always figured they would be quite large, though assumed a material such as brass."

Yeah...sorta sums it up...

By the way, my guess (all four "baloons" together with the wood spreader) is a quickly made, very heavy, very stable anchor for that crane/barge shown in the picture.

Comment

And The Answer Is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings From New Orleans .
                First of all , Thank YOU all so very much for your participation , your guesses and your thoughts on just what these objects may be . In all honesty , I too was puzzeled about the purpose and use of these rather unusual devices until I spoke to the Bisso Fleet and inquired to their use and purpose . Simply put , these are just water bags , filled with water , to a certain weight , and then used to test and determine the SWL , ( Safe Working Load ) which is mandatory for all Cranes and Derricks before they can be put into operation . The next time you have an opportunity to see up close a Crane or Derrick , there will be an imprint such as " SWL 100 tons " , for example , which will specify the limits of weight , what the respective Crane or Derrick may lift . Once again , Thanks for your participation and I hope this little exercise just may have broadened your horizons !!
                Smooth Sailing !
                Ted Davisson
                Attached Files

Comment

Ted: Don't really know but I would think that in addition to the tonnage rating, that they would specify the safe radius within which that tonnage was valid. Thanks for the exercise...I would have voted for fire-fighting water bags...it is obvious that they are filling them in the photos.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X