DELTA QUEEN high overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELTA QUEEN high overhead

No, this posting is not referring to the high cost of running the DQ, but rather to her location - high over the head of Letha and Tom Greene in the Dravo drydock. This was taken Sept. 13, 1947 by Andy Lodder. This would have been about 4 months into her renovation by Capt. Tom and the Greene Line.
    In the second picture, also at Dravo, my eyes seem to see white paint on the upper decks instead of the Navy gray.
    Judging by the background in the third picture, I'd say Capt. Tom and his assistant (Capt. Fred?) were checking the firehose at Suisun Bay in California.
    Attached Files

DQ Overhead

Judy:
    GREAT pictures. Seeing those has me wondering if there is a possibility that the ones I posted were taken along this same time frame by Mr. Lodder; perhaps on an early trip in her career?

RWK

Comment

Incredible pictures! Notice the deck railings without screening and a horizontal wood divider...and the three lifeboats still on the Texas.

Maybe I should know this...Why did Capt Tom take the boat to Dravo for all the work, seems like there would other choices a little closer, a little easier to Cincy. And trivia about Pittsbugh, I can still hear my Dad's voice: "That's DRAY-voh not drah-VOH..."

Comment

Bruno, I'm glad to hear that from a Pittsburgher, because I have been corrected many times for saying DRAY-vo. It may or may not be wrong, but that's how I'm gonna say it.

Comment

Although they did drydock the DQ in NOLA upon her arrival from California, it was only to prepare her for her trip up the river. There were no drydocks or marine ways on the Ohio River large enough to accommodate the vessel except at Dravo. Even today, now that Dravo is long gone, there are no drydocks on the Ohio or Mississippi above New Orleans for that matter, where the DELTA QUEEN can be lifted out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kyle View Post
            Judy:
            GREAT pictures. Seeing those has me wondering if there is a possibility that the ones I posted were taken along this same time frame by Mr. Lodder; perhaps on an early trip in her career?

RWK
            Its possible, Bob. I think Andy Lodder rode quite a bit to take pictures, so I'm sure he was on the first few years to record history and provide pix for advertising. I have a set of his pix, very small maybe 2 x 2, which they sold in the gift shop, and these had the white labeling such as your Sun Room pix had. Don't know the date however.

Comment

Tom and Miss Letha Under the Hull

Sorry - I'm a bit punchy after a very long day. But the hull photo reminds me of the sign at my local gas station:
              "Sorry - Insurance Regulations Prohibit Customers in the Shop"

Wesley

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X