A sunny day on the DQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sunny day on the DQ

I found this mixed in with some Delta Queen photos I was sifting through. I am not sure who, when or where, but this was obviously taken on the Delta Queen and considering it appears to be a warm sunny day thought it might bring relief to those up north in the frozen tundra!
    Attached Files

Thanks, Bob - it's gotten way up to 7 degrees here in downeast Maine today. The guy in the first chair in the picture looks like Barack Obama.

Comment

22 and very snowy today in Upstate New York...

Can anybody put a date to this picture? Am I seeing the original, smaller stage in this picture, the original square wood railing supports, and the single landing spotlight on the jackstaff? And is that the actual wood deck that is visible?

I'll take a wild guess, 1955...I know it's earlier than 1958. Thanks for the picture, Bob!

Comment

Sunbathing on the DQ and elsewhere...

Hard to type this with the sweat rolling off my fingers here in balmy Illinois... looks like the Greene Line green paint hasn't been applied to the railings yet. The railings, light, and stage setup is the same on the 1954 brochure, so this pix was at least 1953 or later Bruno. Was this in some of Roddy's files, Bob?

Comment

Well, then it's definitely not Obama. I knew it wasn't really him, in case someone thinks I was serious. It's sure nice to think about basking on the fore deck right about now, especially as the snow has been falling most of the day up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzou Jones View Post
            Well, then it's definitely not Obama. I knew it wasn't really him, in case someone thinks I was serious. It's sure nice to think about basking on the fore deck right about now, especially as the snow has been falling most of the day up here.
            Jazzou,

We spent more time carving pumpkins there than basking.

Paul

Comment

Pix Info

Yes, Judy, this was in the Roddy Files. It was in with a file folder with a few others, and honestly from what is in the pack, it looks like publicity shots. There are a few with one taken in the lounge, the dining room, etc. I went ahead and scanned the lounge photo in case someone can help 'date' the photos.
              Attached Files

Comment

Painted columns...drapes on slide rods...wimpy ceiling light fixtures...less intense sprinkler system that appears to only protect the lounge outside walls...wonder if that checkered linoleum is under the carpet right now...I'm taking this picture is the very front of the Texas looking aft and slightly to port, looking toward where the bar is now, the picture of the DQ on the wall is where the bar mirror is now, and the picture is taken from where the drums are? When I first looked at it I thought it was of the Forward Cabin Lounge, but the walls and doors don't lay out right when compared to memory, and the stained glass tops are too "short" height-wize.

As to the year, not a clue...but great pictures, keep 'em coming!

Comment

Lounge Shot

Bruno; The only marking on the photo states SUN LOUNGE S.S. DELTA QUEEN. I have another of the Dining Room I will scan later this evening.
                  Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno Krause View Post
                    ....the picture is taken from where the drums are?
                    Yup. Having seen the Texas from that angle the several times I worked that room, I can tell you that you're right on the money, B. It's odd seeing no bar there, but I recognize the poles supporting the overhead.

Now, which of those poles do you lean on for support after a few adult beverages? :O)

Paul

Comment

Oh my, my reputation precedes me...The pole at the very right in the picture is just outside the port front corner of the bar and is my backrest... :-D. Oh, to be there now, downing a cold one...

Comment

Hmm,
                        That sure looks like the early stage, and the square wood railing posts. In addition, those lounge chairs are wood and canvas. Looks like the deck covering doesn't completely hide the deck board seams either. Neat stuff!!!
                        S'
                        David D.
                        PS And who else would know the texas lounge area better than Bruno???? :) Heh, heh, heh!

Comment

Dining Room

As promised, here is the Dining Room pix that was in the pack of photos.

Bob
                          Attached Files

Comment

More Lodder pix

I had never seen that outdoor shot, but I recognized the interior ones immediately as some of Andy Lodder's work. I don't know if he was the 'official' Greene Line photographer or not, but he certainly covered their boats. Several years ago at S&D, his son had a tableful of his 8x10s for sale for $1 each, first come, first served. Bloodshed, elbowing, pushing, grabbing, etc. Well, not quite, but I do have an albumful of his pix now, all from the early DQ days and the GCG. Here are 3 more interior shots for you to peruse. I don't know if these are in Robert's pack or not.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great picture of the dining room, I've seen it before but now have a saved copy for my files, thanks Bob.

Don'tcha just love seeing those rivets in that all wood superstructure? hee-hee, he says shedding a single tear...

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X