JULIA BELLE SWAIN pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JULIA BELLE SWAIN pix

As promised in the JBS trip thread, here are some pix of the steamboat JULIA BELLE SWAIN, built in 1971 at Dubuque Iowa. She is 108 x 22 and has a 3 ft. draft. Her engines are off the CITY OF BATON ROUGE, which is now the landing barge for the TWILIGHT in LeClaire Iowa.
    Attached Files

more JBS pix

1) Note the open air seating on the Main Deck. The red and white striped area is the galley, with the boiler room below.
    2)on Main Deck, getting ready to leave RedWing. The bowthruster is the deckhand's foot against the wall. The gentleman on shore is Bob Kalhagen, who bought the JBS from Capt. Dennis Trone.
    3) midship second deck looking aft toward bar
    Attached Files

Comment

JBS pix continued

1) second deck outside seating on bow
      2)midship starboard side looking forward - look carefully to see the bench, it blends into the deck
      3)the port smokestack and running light amid the beautiful UMR scenery
      Attached Files

Comment

JBS pix, the end thereof

1) midship third deck cabin
        2) calliope keyboard inside third deck cabin
        Attached Files

Comment

For those interested, here are 9 pages of JBS photos at my website: Tom's Julia Belle Swain Images

Comment

Also: The Paul Norton print of the JBS, issued in 1971, is currently being offered on Ebay.

Comment

Jon's pictures are about 12 years newer than mine, and its interesting to see very few changes. The 2 notable ones I see: the engine parts are painted very vividly now, and the 'ice cream stand' tables on the main deck are gone. I believe one reason for their removal was to provide a space for buffet serving tables, and it also gives more lounge chair room outside.
              For anyone who may have been on the TWILIGHT but not the JBS, there is much more outside seating space on the TWILIGHT and more room in general due to having the JBS paddlewheel space turned into main cabin area. But she doesn't have a paddlewheel or the whoosh whooshing scape pipes!

Comment

And of course, there are these pictures and videos from a very wonderful source...

http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-...lle-swain.html

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X