Barbara H Towboat Alongside Delta Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara H Towboat Alongside Delta Queen

It's winter and I have some time to upload some videos.

While upbound on the Ohio River between Madison and Cincinnati this past summer the paddlewheel towboat Barbara H pulled out of her berth and alongside the Delta Queen.

YouTube - Barbara H Sternwheel Towboat

Pat

At about 4 1/2 minutes into the tape you can see Capt. Mary B. Greene enjoying the show in her rocker!!!

Comment

Wow thank you for that Pat. That was great video. Thoroughly enjoyed. Funny I just got my 2009 Sternwheel Towboat Calender in the mail today, perfect timing.

Comment

Hey Pat, that's Super! Thanks so much!! We had hoped to get across the river ahead of the DQ and let her come by on our port side, but she was way ahead of schedule, and we didn't have time to do that.

The water pipe out our starboard engineroom door is the engine coolant/water exhaust. The engine pumps water from the river through a heat-exchanger to cool the engine, and this usually exits through a seachest in the middle of the hull. But Markland let lose a huge amount of debris in June, which all came down our side of the river. When this happens, debris can get packed into that seachest and doesn't let engine water drain (instead it overflows into the engineroom). The easy way to fix this is to go underway to blow-out the debris.

At the end of this jaunt with the DQ, we thought we had cleared the debris from the seachest, but later we discovered it was still packed. So we had to take the seachest cover off and clean-up the mess by hand. That works fine now, but it will probably need cleaning again next spring, when debris season is over.

-Steve

Comment

Pat,

I concure, that video is awesome. It rare to see underway video of this boat so this is a special treat for us in the crew.

Any chance we could get a copy? I'll be happy to pay whatever costs associated with making a copy.

Thanks so much!

First Mate Aaron
          32 Gambier Circle
          Cincinnati, Ohio 45218

Aaron.J.Richardson@att.net

Comment

Authenticity at it's finest...Capt Steve, is that a '55 green hat Johnson on your skiff? I'm thinking 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 horsepower with the 'loved by all' pressurized fuel tank? And I apologize, in another life I was really into outboards...

Wonderful video Pat, love the rocker at the end and fellow dot.orger Ginnie at the beginning, too.

Comment

Bill: I, too saw Mary Greene in that rocker! For those who don't know, that was Aaron Richardson, the substantial-looking First Mate on the bow etc. Don't know the other one there. That was Steve Huffman at the wheel in the Pilot House and it is this boat that your buying a calendar for 2009 from Steve supports. Get yours today and mebbe some for your friends!...great gifts. We have ridden the BARBARA H. a few years back on the Kentucky River Caper and look forward to doing it again! Thanks, Pat for a neat video. Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Bruno,
                You must know Johnson outboards! Yup, that's a 1955 6.5 HP Johnson on the yawl. It still runs, as far as I know. Still has a 1968 Ohio inspection sticker on it. Haven't used it for a couple of years.

Comment

I put the video up on yousendit.com for anyone who wants to grab a copy of it. The files size is 79MB.

https://download.yousendit.com/Q01ITGt4Z1BCSnAzZUE9PQ

It's only available for 7 days so "get 'em while they're hot".

...and here are the photos that we took also...

https://download.yousendit.com/Q01ITGt6Y1MwZ21Ga1E9PQ

Pat

Comment

Pat, that was amazing video! I remember being so excited that day--I always watch for the Barbara H on that stretch, so I can announce her, but was SO excited to find her underway! It was the first time I'd ever seen that--and wouldn't you know, most of the passengers were at a lecture in the Orleans Room! Oh, well, at least now they can watch the video. Many thanks!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X