No announcement yet.

You Might be a Steamboater if . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well in my day we painted the Rock white with either Red or Black letters and yes Capt. Ted I was taught the same thing to tell the pax, Big Fine Rock. And we usually set it at the edge of the waterline unless the Capt. or Pilot told us otherwise.

Comment

A cornstalk is higher tech. "She come up one joint last night, Cap," or "She fell pert near a half a joint sence we got hyere," adds depth to the report.

Comment

YMBAS if'n you've ever had to wade down into that ice cold water to let the line go from the deadman that is now under water.

Comment

Well, Mel, Ted, anybody: Did some miscreant ever move the rock in the dead of night in the interest of goin' or stayin or backin' as the case might be?? Or didn't steamboat mischief extend into that realm? Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

Honestly Tom I cannot remember a time anybody ever fooled around with the BFR and we really didnt "go in" to the towns that much at night, we usually just tied up below the towns so that we could give them the show of our landing in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by mel hartsough View Post
              Honestly Tom I cannot remember a time anybody ever fooled around with the BFR and we really didnt "go in" to the towns that much at night, we usually just tied up below the towns so that we could give them the show of our landing in the morning.
              In the case of Hannibal, I recall the reason not to "go in" was to avoid having sleeping pax disturbed by the trains that go right by the landing at night.

I think that's why, anyway.

Paul

Comment

My fondest memory of working on the rivers as ship photographer occurred only two weeks after I first boarded the MQ. I was a newbie on board and had just completed my first week alone taking the usual photos of PAX you all are familiar with. Being new and not having made any friends yet, I got a glass of wine and went to the bow, I think it was on Texas deck. The bow was deserted as most of the passengers were still at dinner. It was in the Spring and the weather was perfect as I sat down in a rocking chair. As I sipped my wine I listened to the River and watched the sun set right off the bow. I don't think that I had ever experienced such a serene moment in my life. I thought to myself, "it doesn't get any better than this". I don't know how long I sat there, but eventually I realized it was getting late, so I headed to the Paddlewheel Bar. There were a few officers there sitting at a table and all of the passengers were gone. I recognized the Master of the vessel, and the Hotel Manager, but as I was the new guy and not really a crew member I didn't know if I would be welcome, so I just stood by the bar alone with my drink. As I looked around the room I could see the remnants of what I would soon realize was a weekly Mardi Gras party. There were green, gold and purple masks, decorations and helium filled balloons everywhere. Suddenly the Master spoke and asked me. "Well John, how do you like it so far?" to which I replied, "this is the best f*******job I've ever had". He said, "sit down with us, you're going to be a steamboater!" The next thing I knew we were having a big time laughing, swapping stories and consuming beverages. All of a sudden the Master pulls a helium balloon off of the wall and fills his lungs with the gas and starts making emergency commands in a squeaky helium voice. I've never laughed so hard. It was then that I realized that I had found "my people". Sometimes I find myself thinking about paths I have chosen and how if I had taken that job offer in 1995 that offered retirement,benefits and security, I wouldn't be wondering now what I'm going to do for retirement. But, then I think back about the two years I spent aboard the MQ and AQ and say to myself, "I wouldn't trade that time for anything!"

Comment

You were indeed a Steamboater John, it was a real pleasure working ( and consuming beverages!) with you... I'm guessing the Master's initials were, "G.S.", am I right? He was a great fellow! By the way, do you still have your "O Club" card from 2002? What a cruise...

Comment

One thing I always wanted to do, and I might someday...it to find myself an orange VW Bug and stencil the front doors like the DQ's VW was...

My plan would have been to take it to a DQ shore stop, like Dubuque, PDC or LaCrosse....and state "look what I dug up from the river!"
                    Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X