Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta Queen - Home In New Orleans !

Greetings From New Orleans ,
    Yesterday , the 6th. of November the Str. Delta Queen returned home to an uncertain future . The boat landed at the Poydras St. Wharf in New Orleans and its my understanding that the entire crew will be off the boat and on their way to their respective homes no latter than this coming Monday . ALso , the prevailing rumor on the boat is that the DQ will be towed to the Baton Rouge harbor and secured to the McKinney barge fleet just below the city until her future can be decided . Somewhat of an unglamorous ending for the DQ but hopfully someone or some corporation will come along with " Deep Pockets " and ressurect the DQ and do something both reputable and appropriate for this National Treasure . Time will tell !
    Smoothe Sailing !
    Ted Davisson

Hey Ted, thanks for the info. I sent you some email did you get it? and I posted some pix in an album

Comment

I hope that the rumor as to going into fleet is wrong. Unless their is security on the boat the local behind the levee lifters will raise her waterline in a hurry. All that brass and goodies will disappear real fast. She will be a ghost of herself in just months. Surely MAL understands they need to keep her whole if they really intend to sell her to another operator.

Comment

That certainly is about the worst possible news. I had heard that the plans to lay the boat up in Mobile had fallen through; but a barge fleet is certainly no place for a Queen. The other thing you said Ted that worries me is that the crew will be off the boat by Monday. That indicates to me that the boat will not be laid-up properly. You just don't park it, turn off the lights and walk away from a boat. Even my houseboat requires a lot of attention during winter lay-up and even with attention things that were working perfectly when laid-up in the fall just don't work in the spring....I never have figured that out.
        Let's also hope that MAL keeps current on the fleeting bills because I know what happens in a fleet once a vessel owner gets behind, all care goes out the window.
        Six months in a barge fleet could very well spell the end. Your news is not good.

Comment

I could not agree more, Bill and Jim. For those on the board who may not know, these fleets are for barges awaiting dockspace for loading/unloading, or awaiting a tow to pick them up for their next destination. Whatever is in the fleet is subject to being bumped around, etc. While there is a form of security there, they are designed for barges, not Queens as Jim states. Who will check the hull for water, and how will they keep her pumped out? Over time, a boat (even a towboat or other work boat) that sits in a fleet may have windows broken out, allowing rain inside the vessel. Vandals are another major concern, as Bill states. Even in Baton Rouge, they are subject to freezing temperatures from time to time, not a good thing for any boat, and for a dead boat that has not been properly laid up, with no dedicated watchmen aboard, it will likely be a disaster. Capt. Bill mentions brass, etc. that will disappear, but what about other stuff -- furnishings, galley equipment, engine room supplies, electronics, even sheets and towels, the list goes on and on. Even in an anchor fleet, the curious will be able to make their way aboard and do their damage.

Comment

you are so right guys. If she goes to the fleet then its pretty much over for the DQ as we know it. I certainly hope that someone in the company is conveying this information to MAL. It would truely be a nitemare to just dump her Like they did the MQ.

Comment

PRESIDENT in barge fleets

After the PRESIDENT was taken out of service in Davenport, she was stored in a barge fleet downstream several miles in Andalusia, where boaters could merely sidle up to her and board at will. Many of her accoutrements were taken off at that site. After her stays in Vicksburg and Memphis, she ended up at Mike's in Wood River, where the last of her calliope whistles were removed. Of course many windows were broken out over the years too, letting the elements in.

Comment

I think I'm gonna be sick....horrible news, but not at all surprising, and is quite expected considering the absolutely brilliant decisions this group of geniuses has made in the past two years. You think these people suddenly got smarts? Boy, that would be rich...

Gawd, I hope, pray these rumors are wrong...

Think these people are gonna retrieve their $250000 of high thread count linen, mattresses, comforters, SPA toiletries, close up mirrors, Egyptian cotton towels, massage showerheads and bath robes? Probably could get them to work over on Windstar...

What a debacle...
                Last edited by Bruno Krause; 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I hope and pray we are all wrong too Bruno.

Comment

To my understanding there is a team of three people taking care of the Mississippi Queen so I assume that Majestic will also assign a few people to take care of the Delta Queen as well. Let's not be too negative, please. Yes, I'm very concerned, too, but let's not overdo it. Majestic wants to sell the Delta Queen, they obviously need money - so even if they don't love the boat, they love the money they can get for her. And of course they'll get much more money for her when they make sure she'll not be vandalized ...

Comment

I so Hope you are right about that Franz. and thanks for the Info and all you've done here re-connecting me with some long lost friends.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                      Working...
                      X