P.A. Denny on the move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.A. Denny on the move

Had a surprise visitor in our bend of the river this afternoon. I happened to look over at Carrollton to see the P.A. Denny landing. The Denny just did a quick touch-n-go. I was still running down to the boats with my camera when they departed. Talked to captain Frank Trainor on the radio. They are heading to Owensboro for one of their chartered school/educational programs. On their way back upriver they will try to do an overnight lay-over here at the Barbara H's landing.

-Steve
    Attached Files

wow nice pics steve! I havent seen her in over 10 years.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up...I will head downtown and see her through the harbour tonight!

~Travis~

Comment

Capt. Frank Staub is also aboard, so I imagine they might try to run at night as well (depending on fog). She left Carrollton on a fast bell, so I would start looking for her near Louisville as early as 8:30 PM. Just a guesstimate!

Comment

Steve,

I was on the waterfront from 7p-9:30 and nothing. I was really surprized, too! I am thinkin they held up somewhere for something. I drove up to about Wootens River Service thinkin they might be takin on fuel....no such luck!

~Travis~

Comment

And how many of us know how to play the P.A. DENNY SONG, on the CaLLiope,,,?

Remember Travis ,,, We rode on the DENNY one night at Tall Stacks 92, and thay fired the CaLLiope up for us,,?? And you played the P.A. DENNY song,,....

I would not have learned it if not for you,,,...

Comment

Dave,

The author of that song posts on here alot! His name is Thomas "Jazzou" Jones.

Yes, I remember that night well...remember me steering her in the upper harbour? She is a hell of a handler! Some say she wanders...but the experience I have with her, she is a really good handler and responds (well underway) almost as good as a car on the road!

I have always liked that Frisbee calliope on her. The tonal quality is so good for an air-operated calliope. Admittedly it needs some work...but always sounds good to me!

Here I am playing PA DENNY on the PA DENNY calliope!
              YouTube - Calliope on M/V PA DENNY

Here is another DENNY calliope selection from that night
              YouTube - Calliope aboard M/V PA DENNY part 2

and finally the last of them
              YouTube - Calliope aboard M/V PA DENNY part 3

~Travis~

Comment

,,I didn't know that ,,,,,...... till now ,,,,.... JAZZOU,, GREAT JOB,,,!!

JAZZOU ,,, WE spent time at "Crabs Joe shack" in Louisiville, Steamboat Race Day in 06,,,Hope you remember,,....

I really didn't know that Travis ,,, Thanks for letting me know,,..!

Comment

Travis;;
                  Yes I do remember,,, infact I still have the plastic cup from the bar that night and it has the P.A.DENNY logo on it,,,....

What a GREAT time,,, TOO much fun and too many CaLLIopes to play,,and to cram it into one week,,,...! WOW,,,

Comment

Who ever is at the helm of the Denny has her moving way to fast by the look of the of the wheel, I hope they checked the chain real good before the trip.

Comment

I guess it's a mystery then! Maybe they are shoving in at night. Since it's dusk by 7 PM, maybe they stopped at Bethlehem(?). Hopefully no mechanical problems! All I know is Capt. Trainor said their destination was Owensboro, and they left Carrollton like a scalded dog.

Comment

Make Her Talk...

You got that right, Cap'n Tom, only someone who really understood the PAD would think of checking the chain after seeing how hard she was running. We used to examine that Link-Belt chain everyday, and could replace a broken link in under ten minutes. When oil was discovered dripping into the river from a hole under the chain case, we were told that the DENNY would have to be taken to the shipyard where the heavy oil drained so the case could be made safe to weld; then workers would weld the hole and the boat returned to service, but only after missing several days of needed income. Thankfully, I found some plastic roofing cement and nylon webbing in the trunk of my car hidden behind the ORPHAN WHISTLE; so I rooted it out, climbed into the rescue boat, and made a soft-patch over the hole that lasted all year. Permanent repairs were made after the DENNY was laid-up at the end of the season with no loss of revenue.

Regrettably, Tom, I cannot play the P. A. DENNY song on the calliope (or hum it, for that matter) but I could make that boat talk... and so could you.

Comment

Hey Sam I put names to most of those faces in my album and there is more stuff to come.

Comment

It's great to have you aboard Dot.Org. Your contributions have made the site more exciting.

Do you know Captain Tom Price who posted before me? He was my 12 year-old Cub Pilot who eventually became the Captain of the DENNY when he was old-enough to get his license. He, like you, was a fine boatman who left the river. Too bad for both losses.

Comment

According to the internet lock list, the PAD is just now southbound below McAlpine as of 2 PM this afternoon...

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X