X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Judy , While Your In New Orleans , Why

Greetings From New Orleans ,
    Hey Judy , while your in New Orleans , why don't you give me a call and come make a trip with me on a ship and see what its reallly like to pilot and deal with the river and the traffic we have to contend with ??
    Smooth Sailing !
    Ted Davisson
    Attached Files

Sort of unrelated, but are freighter cruises still possible, into ports like New Orleans???

Comment

Some Are , But............................................... .....

Pete ,
      Thanks for your posting and interest . It is my understanding that , Yes , some freighter cruises are possible but it just depends on the shipping line that you contact . Some still do and some do not . Its also my understnading that most shipping companies hold the number of passengers to no more than 12 because a licensed doctor is required to be on board if that number is exceded . Years ago Lykes Brothers use to carry passengers and it was my understanding that they received the same benefits for carring passengers as the inland passenger vessels do . Such as priorty at lock and dams and docking benefits as well . For example , when a cruise ship either arrives or departs from New Orleans , the Coast Guard , Vessel Traffic Service ( formerly Governor Nic and Gretna Tower ) always gives them priorty and other vessels must wait or stand down so as they can maneuver in and around the Poydras-Algiers Point area . Many a time , when on either a north or for that matter even a south bound ship , I had to run slow or even stop so as to allow the cruise ship to make their arrival or departure maneuver in this same area . Go fgure . Hope this sheds some light on your question and by the way there is still and always be
      " an open invitation " for anyone interested to come make a trip with me on a ship when they're in New Orleans .
      Smooth Sailing !
      Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Pete Sisak View Post
      Sort of unrelated, but are freighter cruises still possible, into ports like New Orleans???
      Attached Files

Comment

Next time I visit Father Young @ St Joseph's in Baton Rouge, I just might take you up on that offer!

Thanks!

Comment

Pete , that would be great !

Pete ,
          That would be great ! You and everyone else for that matter have an open invitation to come and make a trip with me . If you've never gone before , I guarantee it will be an eye opening experience ! Up high on the bridge of a ship you see the entire river from a different perspective and to say the least you get a whole new appreciation for what comes and goes and in what quanties here on the Lower Mississippi River ! Come on and come all , you won't be disappointed !
          Smooth Sailing !
          Ted Davisson

Originally posted by Pete Sisak View Post
          Next time I visit Father Young @ St Joseph's in Baton Rouge, I just might take you up on that offer!

Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Davisson, would that open invitation apply for me? I'll be down there for New Year's, and that would be amazing.

Comment

Come One and Come All !

Matthew ,
              Absolutely , YES , come make a trip with me at your convenience and I guarantee you that it will certainly be one worth remembering . For that matter you wife or girlfriend or just signficiant is welcome to come as well . Once again , this is an " Open Invitation " to one and all ! Hope to hear back from you !
              Smooth Sailing !
              Ted Davisson ( also Mr. Davisson is my Dad , I am Ted !! )

Originally posted by Matthew Dow View Post
              Mr. Davisson, would that open invitation apply for me? I'll be down there for New Year's, and that would be amazing.

Comment

Ted,
                I had to laugh because, being only 19, i don't have a wife or significant other yet. But I will take up on that. I'll be in New Orleans from the 29th of December to the 4th of January, so I'll get in touch with you. It'll be very interesting to see the harbor from something other than the decks of the Natchez.

Comment

My mother, Mazzou's second favorite way to cruise was by freighter. Before she reached the age limit beyond which freighters would accept passengers (80) she made eighteen trips all over the world and loved every one of them. Sometimes she would be at sea for weeks at a time, and sometimes she would schedule a trip knowing ahead of time the ship might be scheduled for a prolonged maintenance stop, allowing her plenty of shore time in a place she was interested in (she spent 3 weeks exploring villages in the Chilean Andes on one such jaunt). She found it an economical and exciting way to see the world. Another of her favorite memories was once while en route to New Zealand visiting Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific, which is accessible only by freighter. Mom loved meeting anyone and everyone and especially enjoyed the camaraderie between freighter passengers and crew. Dining was with the officers and on board amenities, while limited, were always sufficient for basic needs. You have to be able to entertain yourself (I still have no idea how she could go so long without listening to ragtime...), be adventuresome, and just "go with the flow." Mom still reminisces about the wonderful trips she made over a thirty year stretch, and during that time found the best company to deal with for booking trips is one she recommends called Travltips: Freighter Cruise & Travel - Freighter, Small Ship & Traditional cruises are our specialty...

Comment

BTW, several of Mazzou's trips either began or ended in New Orleans. She said the landing facilities were quite unlike Robin Street Wharf! Also, in many foreign ports the passengers would be advised how completely unsafe it was to even think about going ashore because of the bad areas where they docked or dropped anchor. Frequently, the ships had to take protective measures to guard against stowaways and pirates. Aargh, matey! Over her years of tramping around the world on freighters, Mom saw the transition from mostly live human stevedores doing all the ship's lading to automated, computerized machines handling the cargo that had gone almost completely to containers. Over time, due to these techno advances, ships were running more and more on schedule.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X