Rough Times Along the River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Times Along the River

Wednesday's storms caused some problems along the Upper Miss: the City of Clinton Showboat nee Omar/Rhododendron had its smokestacks knocked off from the strong winds, but the shows went on. The Julia Belle Swain was in Dubuque and survived the squalls by putting out extra lines. Busch Stadium in St. Louis sustained quite a bit of damage just as the game was to begin, which means about 7 PM. The Mississippi Queen was docked up near the Eads Bridge that day and was presumably still there for the storm. No word if they had any damage. And many residents of St. Louis lost power, including some of our .orgers. Not only did Darin lose power, but he now has a tree lying across his front yard. Luckily it did no damage to his house. There is nothing showing on the locks page of the American Queen, so whether she is in the St. Louis area yet is unknown.

Sorry to hear about these terrible storms and that the old towboat OMAR sustained collapsed stacks and pilothouse damage from the ferocious winds that apparently blew upriver after doing extensive damage in the St. Louis area, including a partial collapse of the landmark Switzer's Licorice building next to the Eads Bridge. This brings to mind "the big blow" of June 28, 1969 that struck the St. Louis riverfront, making a door on the Goldenrod Showboat concave and, worst of all, breaking loose the Str. Becky Thatcher, visitors center barge and a replica of the Santa Maria (recently purchased by Mayor Cervantes as a tourist attraction) which was moored alongside. Over 100 restaurant patrons aboard the Becky went for a "cruise" they had not anticipated, as the boats were quickly swept downriver, barely clearing two bridges before crashing into the Monsanto dock on the Illinois side. The wooden Santa Maria took the brunt of the crash, acting like a huge bumper and was immediately sunk. Damage was done to the Becky's sternwheel, railings and a portion of a bulkhead on the main deck was bashed in breaking glass and damaging exhibits in Ruth Ferris' Midship Museum. A towboat, the Larrayne Andress, came to the rescue and took all of the terrified "passengers" to the wharfboat of the Str. Admiral, which was out on a cruise and had gone to the bank below St. Louis during that very dark and stormy night on the Mississippi, now 37 years past. Hope the MQ, AQ -- and especially that Darin and all our St. Louis river friends are OK -- and that things get back to normal there as soon as possible!
    Last edited by Keith Norrington; 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Judy,
      Thanks for keeping everyone updated. The national guard arrived here in St. Louis last evening to help with cleanup and to get some of the residents out of their "oven" homes. I watched the storm as it came in, snapping trees into power lines, buildings, and the streets. It looks like a war zone. In the historic district I live in, the streets were impassable and debris everywhere. I have been without power since Wednesday at 6:30pm.
      I was wondering about the MQ as well...hope there was no damage sustained. My family has been through a tornado before-this was a close one. But, thankfully, it could have been way worse. The truth is, St. Louis has been long overdue for a bad storm-hope this is all for quite awhile.

Kevin

Comment

Yes, as Judy reported, I sustained damage and am still without power, due to the "Great St. Louis Hurricane". The winds from the recent storm were the equivalent of a Category 1 hurricane (Category 2 in some areas), and it came with very little notice. So, no one moved launchable items like flower pots, tables, chairs, and such. In my area, there was a report of a small tornado.

I am at work, in the air conditioning. But, the weekend is upon us and unless the power comes back on, it will be warm again. Last night was night #2 in the warm house. Thankfully, the basement is cool. One family member has had power restored, so I'll be sleeping at their place going forward. Hotels are full and cooling shelters are open. The tree is still in the front yard. I have no idea when it will be removed. As can be expected, both the electric company and tree companies are working at full capacity. Ameren UE, the local power company, has brought in crews from other states. Progress is being made, though.

Another fierce storm just started. I hope it doesn’t lead to more power outages, more damage, or an extension of time until my power is restored. I have two large trees in the backyard, I don’t need for them to fall on the house.

Comment

Yes Judy, it was quite a sight. I was watching from the OB deck just before the first show and it was raining SIDEWAYS!

MQ got underway just fine.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for the report Paul. You figure no news is good news, but its still nice to hear for sure that she made it through that storm ok. Did you happen to pass the AQ coming up anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch
              Thanks for the report Paul. You figure no news is good news, but its still nice to hear for sure that she made it through that storm ok. Did you happen to pass the AQ coming up anywhere?
              Hi Judy,

It's my understanding the the AQ is about a week behind us, since we are headed up the Ohio now (am in Henderson today)

Paul

Comment

AQ whereabouts

Yes, I've heard they are trying to round up crew now and hope to leave NOLA July 31. So that would put her in St. Louis in early Augurst. Its a good thing she wasn't up in the St. Louis area for all the storms.

Comment

Power is back on

After 3.5 days without power, it has now been restored. I still have a tree in the front yard, as the tree people haven't made it around to me yet. If anyone wants some free firewood, come and cut some free wood. The refrigerator and freezer have been cleaned and now just needs some food. At least nothing internal to the house was destroyed. I guess I'll have to get a new tree, though.

Another fierce storm went through on Friday, knocked out power to some that had been restored, but didn't affect me. The temperatures cooled, though. There are hundreds of thousands still without power.

Comment

Another .orger from St. Louis heard from: John Mullen phoned me tonight. He and Carol were enjoying the electricity and airconditioning in their hotel room in Chattanooga. They are boarding the DQ Monday for the Birmingham trip, which will also carry .orgers Pat Traynor and Pat Carr. When the Mullens left home this morning, their electricity still wasn't back on. They emptied both a freezer and refrigerator of several hundred dollars worth of food before leaving. They had no damage to their home. What better way to wait for electrical power to be restored than to be riding the DQ?????

Comment

Thanks, Judy, for the update. I was wondering about the Mullen's.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                      Working...
                      X