No announcement yet.

How many Pilots/Favorite Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, based on what Judy and Alan are telling us, do you think the "captain's dinner" will become the hotel manager's dinner or the cruise director's dinner- both of whom frequently have to dine with the passengers during that dinner anyway? Maybe. it will be re-named the "officers' dinner". Somehow that doesn't seem to have the same flavor.

Also, even though crew does have to be willing to multi-task and not stick to strict job descriptions, the hotel staff and the engineering staff are not duplicates- they tend to have very different training and personalities even if the captains have moved up the ranks through both sides of the operation.

I have the following questions:
    Are there coast guard regulations about required staff?
    What about the unions?
    In the ownership transition, does the union contracts have to go with the transfer of ownership or is it like tenants and landlords?
    Anyone care to speculate on what the future will hold IF boats don't have full passenger loads?

Just as aside, I was having a discussion yesterday with what a difficult time the airline industry has these days because on any given plane with 200 seats for example, there are 200 different prices paid for those seats. The only airline that does generally do that is Southwest which basically has two levels of pricing and non-assigned seats but a first come, first serve basis. Southwest also sells one-way tickets- something much more expensive on other airlines unless you are in the industry.

Comment

QUEEN's Best Handler

Though I can clearly see the paw prints on the wall, I truly regret hearing that the Roof Captains' job may find itself in the dustbin of steamboat history, for, like all the rest of Cap'n Wagner's charges, I was trained for the job and know it well. Once, when Wagner's Mate, I asked Mr. Bill Muster if I could become a Steersman, or Cub Pilot, and Mr. M. answered, "If I want a Pilot, I will hire one. I want you to look after the crew." So eventually I went over to M/G Transport as the first Steersman they hired, and was put uner the guidance of a great bargeline pilot, the late Capt. Bill Davis, who taught me the basics of the pilothouse art. The finest handler of the DELTA QUEEN, I knew, was Captain Ernest E. Wagner who refused to get his Pilot's license, as he feared what may be in the cards this many years later. Wagner and the DELTA QUEEN were one and the same when he was aboard. Cap wore the boat as tightly as he did his skivvy shirt.

Comment

Steamboats Needs a Roof Captain

After my recent visit on the DELTA QUEEN , at Decatur, and seeing all that that the "Roof Captain" must do, I hope that the company and the USCG never conspire to remove this most-needed post from the boat(s). A steamboat, unlike an more automated diesel boat is, to quote Chief Engineer Cal Benefiel, "another catagory", and needs that additional element for the security and safety of the vessel(s).

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X