Where Were These Last Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Were These Last Sunday?

On our much talked about Rose Island trip, each person was given a reprint of a 1932 Rose Island broucher. Supposedly it was written by Mr. D.H. G. Rose himself. If that's the case Mr. Rose was a master with a phrase, just read what he wrote about the Str. CITY OF MEMPHIS:
    "Str. CITY OF MEMPHIS will operate between Louisville and Rose Island during the 1932 season.
    This excursion steamer and showboat combined is the only excursion steamer running between Louisville and Rose Island. It has been newly decorated throughout. A real sidewheeler...a four decker..200 feet long...with a dance floor to accommodate 700 people...a splendid orcestra...a restaurant....comfortable deck chairs in which to relax while cool refreshing breezes blow over the waters and mock the city's heat".
    I want to know one thing....whatever happened to those cool refrshing breezes? Last Sunday they sure didn't mock the city's heat.
    By the way...the next year or so the "newly decorated" CITY OF MEMPHIS must have gotten tired because it laid down to rest on the river bottom with an excursion on board at the Foot of Broadway. Luckily they managed to beach the boat and no one was hurt.

Maybe no cool refreshing breezes, but a most splendid time nevertheless last Sunday. Many, many thanks once again, Jim, for your fine hospitality and creativity in the "Jim's Dream" series of trips.

Thanks also to the Tschiggfries for their outstanding Tschow at the Howard, and to all those who worked to make it happen.

I look forward greatly in anticipation of how you good folks are going to top these events!

Comment

That City of Memphis was a hippity-click thing. Captain Roy McBride told me she was so badly out of trim that she drew five feet forward and only ten inches aft. Her paddlewheels hung below the bottom of the hull. The day she sank on Portland Bar she had 781 passengers aboard, and according to Captain McBride, none of them got their feet wet. She had hit a rock on the Indiana side of Sand Island and was deliberately run agound on Portlan Bar. She never ran again. The big question was, "Why did pilot DuFour go,on the yonder side of Sand Island in the first place?"

Comment

Alan, my uncle Walter Grimm was on the City of Memphis when she sank there below the canal, in the summer of 1932. That was in his early days on the river before becoming a full fledged pilot/captain. I once had a photo of him, standing with his foot up on her starbord guard rail, in her swamped condition, with water all around. Wish I could find it but it's long lost to time. - FRANK GRIMM-

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X