Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

70 Years Ago - The 1937 Flood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default 70 Years Ago - The 1937 Flood

70 years ago this week, much of Louisville and other regions along the Ohio River were under water as the infamous flood of 1937 was causing misery for thousands upon thousands of people with the most frequently uttered three words being the plea of "SEND A BOAT!" My parents were 5 years old at the time, but have recollections of the problems wrought by the water. And, just ten years ago, in early March of 1997, we experienced another horrific flood that left billions of dollars in damage and many homeless.

The theme of the Howard Steamboat Museum's annual Chautauqua in May will be "The 1937 Flood Remembered". So, if you have "memories and/or memorabilia" to share please bring them! Many years ago my grandmother gave me a small collection of photographs showing downtown New Albany in the throes of the great flood. By 1952 the city was protected by a floodwall, although the flood of 1997 tested the integrity of the wall, causing a few serious leaks that had to be dealt with quickly. Although I'm sorry that the cobblestone wharf of our historic city, founded in 1813, is long gone, it's good to have that floodwall!