Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?
View Poll Results: Which categories setup do you prefer?
I want just one category with all the postings in it. 16 26.67%
I'd like to keep the three categories, don't change anything. 19 31.67%
Not sure, don't care, doesn't matter. 4 6.67%
Reduce it to two categories - "steamboat/history" and "rivertalk/cruises" 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Off Topic: One or three categories? Please vote!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default Off Topic: One or three categories? Please vote!

After a couple of months with the new messageboard software I'd like to briefly discuss one issue with all of you. I've got some requests for returning to the old message board (which is impossible and I'll explain that below) or at least reducing the messageboard to just one central category instead of having the three categories "steamboat history", "river talk" and "river cruises" (which is possible and I'd like to know your opinion about this).

A) We can't return to the old messageboard for technical reasons as that software is not able to handle the amount of postings and traffic this messageboard now has to handle every day (which is good, because it's successful ;-) Also, there is no way to get a messageboard that works similar to the old one as that software simply is unique and absolutely different to all other messageboards out there. So, please, in the following discussion, don't ask for the look-and-feel of the old messageboard. I'd like to have it, but it's impossible for technical reasons - except you want to donate at least 10.000 US-Dollars so I can hire a programmer to do this ;-))

B) The categories: The disadvantage of the old system was that we constantly had discussions about what topics do belong to the messageboard while there had been very different opinions about whether river cruises are a topic for steamboats.org or whether river related issues that do not have anything to do with steamboats or paddlewheelers are accepted. The three-category-strategy avoids that as the purists can just use the "steamboat history" category while others can read the other categories of interest, too. But I admit, this has it's disadvantages, too.

So if you want to discuss this issue, please reply to this posting and also vote for either "one" or "three" categories on the poll at the top of this posting. Only registered and logged-in users can vote and there is only one vote per user. The poll will be active for about a week and at the end of this discussion and poll I hopefully will find a decision about whether to keep the three categories or reduce it back to one category, which then will include all topics on this one, single category that are now spread over three categories.

Happy discussing ;-)

Franz

Last edited by Franz Neumeier; 10-24-2006 at 11:15 PM.