Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   The Purple People Bridge (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/576-purple-people-bridge.html)

Jim Herron 10-13-2006 04:26 PM

The Purple People Bridge

Im just curious if anyone from this forum did the walk across the top of the Purple People Bridge during TS or any other time. Photos from up there would be spectacular!
-Jim Herron

Nick-Taylor 10-13-2006 05:40 PM

I wanted to so badly, but there was a gate with another warning sticker... We did walk across, and the people walking up high had a special suit on with protective gear... I really wanted to do that though.

Richard Weisenberger 10-13-2006 06:25 PM

We saw people up there, but I have never been on anything but the Purple People Bridge itself. We were walking on the Roebling Suspension Bridge this time. We parked at the Kenton County Garage in Covington and walked the rest of the way.

[QUOTE=Jim Herron;1681]Im just curious if anyone from this forum did the walk across the top of the Purple People Bridge during TS or any other time. Photos from up there would be spectacular!
-Jim Herron[/QUOTE]

Frank X. Prudent 10-16-2006 11:41 PM

I might have spent the $40.00 to go up to the top of the bridge during Tall Stacks if I could have taken my camera along, but bringing a camera is strictly forbidden. No wonder why prospective climbers are not showing up in the numbers that the owners expected, no camera, no Tall Stacks, no money from me!

Darin Schuld 10-17-2006 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't on the Purple People Bridge Climb, but I have done the "original" bridgeclimb on the [URL="http://www.bridgeclimb.com"]Sydney Harbour Bridge[/URL] in Australia. It's quite a bit higher and the view is spectacular. To answer the question on picture taking, a reason they don't let you do it is that climbing requires both hands. You can't be carrying anything. Even if your camera was around your neck, there will be someone who will drop the camera. And, then it will fall and hit a pedestrian or a boat in the water. The chances are unlikely, but it only takes one and the thing gets shut down. Insurance is one of the biggest issues here. Even the climbers are attached to a wire as they progress through their climb.

$40 is nothing, when compared to what I paid in Australia. I would definitely do it again, even though I couldn't take my camera (which I really wanted to). I suggested to the Australian folks that if they can issue hats, eyeglass cords, and radios that attach to the "moon suit" gear they issue, they should figure out how to get a disposable camera that attaches to the suit, as well. They'd make extra money on the deal.

R. Dale Flick 10-17-2006 10:32 AM

Dear Darin:
Your timely posting on 'Purple People Bridge' in Cincinnati and the incredible 'Sydney Bridge' in Australia provided answers to questions in my mind. Glad you were able to make the Sydney Bridge walk. When I was last there I pondered doing the walk but saw it would have taken no small amount of time out of the day. There were long lines for sure and then they shut it down due to high winds blowing in the harbor. The Sydney Bridge is some 500 ft. + above the water and spectacular. I can't recall now what the $$ tab was for the bridge walk there. Can you recall? The big Sydney Harbor ferry boats are a real experience. They scoot across and approach the ferry slips at a good clip. Just when you think you're going to smash into the wall they throttle in full reverse and glide in with no small amount of boiling water.

My 84 year old father-in-law is a retired bridge designer/engineer and recalled a contract his company had here to examine the cables and piers of the Suspension Bridge. He and one other made the climb up to the piers and then, with restraining belts, 'walked' the cables of the bridge from the Cincinnati side to northern Kentucky. This was in the 1950s leading to repairs and strenghtening of the bridge deck. Their survey found the cables to be in excellent condition. He said, "I did it once but had no desire to do so again. The wind was blowing and the 'bounce' of the bridge structure from below could be felt. My partner walked ahead of me with no concerns whatever with one foot placed carefully in front of the other and hands tight on the side cables."

I like the keen 'moon suits' the walkers are wearing in your photo.

Cheers,
R. Dale Flick

Shipyard Sam 10-17-2006 11:03 AM

Grandstand Sight

Captain Susan Sawyer, of the GV2, said she was atop the Purple People Bridge at the same time the DQ, NATCHEZ, BELLE L, and others passed directly beneath her. [I]T'was a spectacular sight[/I], she sighed.

Darin Schuld 10-17-2006 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dale, when I visited in 2004, the lines weren't long. And, I visited on January 3, in the peak of their summer. (They're closed on Dec 31 and Jan 1 for the spectacular New Years fireworks display) It was basically a reservation only experience, since it is so popular. When you were there, the winds must have been pretty brisk, because they claim to operate in all kinds of weather, even rain. It was pretty brisk the day I was there, causing my moon suit to puff up with air to make me look like a marshmellow.

The bridge structure itself is quite wide for walkers, so there is no problem there. In fact, it is almost possible to stand side by side. As I mentioned, there is a continuous cable which each walker is attached to. Once you are attached, you are secured for the whole walk up and down. Of course, people do get scared, especially at the top. At the top, they can detach those people and reattach them to another cable to go back down. In the photo I've attached, you can see the cables (left is for up, right is for down), along with the amount of room to walk.

As for the price, I paid about $125 Australian ($1 USD = $1.35 AUD at that time). I understand that they have increased the prices and now offer different prices for different times of day and year. And, twilight and dawn are the most expensive. I went during the day.

I rode the Sydney ferries a few times. It is very interesting to see them dock at Circular Quay. They do indeed cruise into the docking area at a fast speed, then slow down right before the dock. They seem to do it with such precision that the passengers barely notice. There's no domino effect from the somewhat sudden stop. What a busy place the ferry dock is!

Elaine Santangelo 10-18-2006 02:48 PM

Nice picture- that was fun-

have no clue how it relates but I don't care. I like the smiling faces on the bridge:)