Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Info on who did the tintype/daguerrotypes in Madision (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5719-info-who-did-tintype-daguerrotypes-madision.html)

Richard Reiff 08-20-2017 11:07 PM

Info on who did the tintype/daguerrotypes in Madision

3 Attachment(s)
Way back in 2006 or 2007 we were on a DQ trip that stopped in Madison, IN for the day. I have some photos of a guy and his wife who were taking photos (tintypes) of the DQ while it was docked for the day. IO recall they were very expensive, too much for my budget at the time, and probably too high today. I was wondering if this team is still making these during stops of the AQ while at Madision?

Also, does anyone recall or know the name of the people or outfit who was making these photos?

The attached shows a few photos I took of the process, note that in true tintype fashion the image is reversed, as you are really taking a photo directly onto the plate, which is reversed as light passes through the lens.

R. Dale Flick 08-22-2017 09:19 AM

*Tintype photos/I don't know.*

Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Thanks, Richard, for the posting with pictures RE: the "tintype photographers in Madison." Ummmm, seems I did hear about these people from friends also aboard the DELTA QUEEN on various trips. Never saw them personally and don't know who they are. I also did hear mention about "how expensive." Years ago there were itinerant photographers who traveled the rivers, stopped in towns and cities doing photos called 'picture boats.' Capt. Fred Way wrote in his S&D REFLECTOR about these boats looking like painted up shanty boats. They either drifted with the current or hitched a ride tied to a steamboat.

There has been of late a 'revival' of old-time tintype photography along with the even more detailed, expensive Dauguere technique like the famous Cincinnati plates done in 1848 by Fontaine & Porter showing the river, steamboats. *Read recently there's a guy in New York who does fine art portrait photos reviving, using the Dauguere technique that is VERY expensive and by special appointment. Don't quote me but I 'thought' he charged something like $14,000 depending on size of the plate, detail and work as each Dauguere is a one-of-a-kind. 'Tintypes,' when perfected, were supposed to make photography more affordable by most people then.

I bet, Rich, if you posted the same question and photos on the web 'DELTA QUEEN Memories' on FACEBOOK you'd get a response from one of the gang who remember the people in Madison. Cheers!

Summer: R. Dale Flick on the very cool, windy shores of mighty Lake Michigan until next Monday.

Richard Reiff 08-22-2017 11:06 AM

Cost

As I recall, back in 2006 or so, they guy was asking $150 or so for each of the small tintypes. Back then we could barely afford the DQ fare much less a $150 souvenir. By now the prices for those things are much higher, but I wanted to find out if someone was doing the same thing with the AQ,

R. Dale Flick 08-22-2017 11:28 AM

*Tintypes today/$150 apiece.*

Hi, Rich,
Yes, the $150 a tintype sounds about right from what people recalled to me in Cincinnati after their DELTA QUEEN cruises. And I also know so well what you mean about NOT springing for a "souvenir" along with the then DQ trip prices.

Looking back now decades later, the DELTA QUEEN trips by dollar were almost a laugh compared to now 2017 tariffs on the AQ, ACL and other river cruise vessels--and it'll never get any cheaper. I remember back then the average working annual wage and prices. We thought then people taking the DQ New Orleans and upper Mississippi trips for nearly three weeks "were millionaires."

My DQ experience on DQ Pittsburgh trips in very late 1950s and early 1960s had the boat steaming up the Kanawha River from the Ohio to a small town named Buffalo, W.Va. The locals came out in droves to stare at the majestic DELTA QUEEN, watch we passengers coming and going in wonder. The late river artist Dorothea Frye said to me, "Dale, these people think we're millionaires--little to they know." Buffalo even put on a nice little street fair with booths selling hand crafts, honey, bees wax, pottery etc. I bought a nice sofa pillow for my parents they had for years. When we steamed out all stood on the bank cheering, waving with a wistful sentiment so honest from the heart. Real salt of the earth people.

Summer: R. Dale Flick from the northern shores of cold, windy mighty Lake Michigan.

Bob Reynolds 08-22-2017 11:57 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but you're right about the fares then and now. I suppose there are folks for whom money is no object, but that's not me. Planning how to pay for (or finance!) a trip like this is a reality for many if not most. Yes, watching one's gift shop purchases, purchases ashore, even the bar bills taken into consideration by many...they want to go, have a good time, but that reality of cost in the back of most folks' mind -- maybe even the forefront of some folks' minds! Dorothea was right, Dale...many think those who ride the boats (any boat) is a millionaire. Not true of course, but to some who think that, we might as well be. For them a trip on one of these boats is about as realistic as a trip around the world doing anything and everything they want. For those of us who can swing it, it becomes a matter of priorities. For some others who may watch from the bank or lock wall, it is a complete fantasy that could not be realized no matter what, given their circumstances....

Wesley Paulson 08-22-2017 04:52 PM

Further Hijacking re: Fares

My one and only trip on DQ was subsidized by my grandfather with the challenge that he would match one fare if I saved up for the other for my wife and me. In 1995 it was a healthy $900 plus per person for an obstructed view cabin behind the outside stairs. And worth ever penny that my wife and I saved up.

Wesley

R. Dale Flick 08-22-2017 04:55 PM

*Steamboat fares/Reality*

Hi, Bob!
Got that right in your posting above RE: 'then and now' where DQ and present day cruise prices are concerned. And, as I've stated, it isn't going to get any cheaper. One of my recent ocean/shipping journals mentions how the big 'blue water' cruise lines are maxing out with huge, new ships or remodeling older ones to maximize passenger compliment to up revenue. Many cruise lines max their passengers focusing on life aboard, spending money aboard. Times on some ships you don't always feel you are at sea or even on a ship. Those who don't like bigger vessels soon to have no options. The old rule: smaller the passenger compliment higher generally the cruise rate per head. This along with, "You get what you pay for." And, "It only costs a little more to go 1st Class" a real laugh when you see these mega bucks fares on luxury boats/ships today.

Some remember one of my favorite old DELTA QUEEN stories [Very early 1960s] about the well-heeled couple who boarded the boat foot of Main Street, Cincinnati after just returning to New York from England on the QUEEN MARY. They were on a whirl-wind world tour complete with steamer trunk, other luggage. The lady took one look at her upper deck outside DQ cabin, the interior of the boat in general and pitched a fit on the spot. Several ladies and men aboard jumped right in inviting them for drinks and to soothe their disappointment. They stayed aboard and within two days were in the swing of it loving the DQ, the river returning again and again for a number of years. We've all met people similar to that who in time you would think had invented river cruises as loyal fans. First time I was taken aboard the DQ back in the 1950s I was awe struck by the boat then--and never got over it. Since then I've sailed the seven seas, rivers, lakes of the world but have never forgotten my first view and impressions of the DQ. Again, what do I know?

Summer: R. Dale Flick on the windy, chilly shores of northern mighty Lake Michigan.

Bob Reynolds 08-22-2017 05:29 PM

Dale, I remember the first time I ever stepped aboard the DQ, I *think* about 1967. My mother was (as was Betty Blake) quite disappointed in the public areas -- pictures we've seen here and on FB showing the spartan furnshings, dim lighting, etc. Asphalt tile floors, cheap bedspreads, etc. By the time I took my first trip in 1972, the company had spent mega-bucks to not only upgrade mechanical and safety features, but also the decorating and general appearance of the boat. Of course, times were changing, but I'll never forget my mother's first impression. She was not shy about letting my father and me know it, either.

Judy Patsch 08-22-2017 06:05 PM

Fares then and now

My first DQ trip, exactly 44 years ago today(1973), cost $60 a day for the C cabin 130/31. In today's money, that would be $329.28, and that was for no bathroom. My last trip in 1983 cost $105 a night, in today's money $256.54, and that was for a B room like 338 with a bathroom. As I recall our 2012 AQ trip, an inside cabin cost about $380 a night. Outside rooms started about $425 I think. As Bob said, many things have to be considered when thinking about the cost and whether to book or not. Back in 1977 I had my car loan paid off and had no other debts. I rode 28 straight days, off 6, and then rode another 9, for a total of 37 days that summer. I don't have my tickets handy, but I suspect it was about $80 a day, or $2960 for all 37 days. In today's money that would be $11,904. And these are just the basic fares. As the guys said, there are the extras like bar bills($2.88 including tip per Planters Punch), gift shop, shore tours(minimal compared to today's). And in my case, film developing. My DQ trips were worth every penny. Now, the 2012 AQ trip was NOT worth it to me, as we had longer shore stops/less daytime cruising; more elaborate dining room meals which I didn't eat; guest star entertainers, whom I didn't listen to, no lengthy calliope concerts... So even though my income is more now, with fewer expenses than in my DQ days, I could afford ONE AQ trip a year, but choose not to book because it isn't worth it to me. I've opted for the 2 day $200 a day TWILIGHT cruises, which are all daylight cruising featuring the river. There is entertainment and good food, but that is not the focus - and the Captain is in charge of the schedule and stops, not some hotel manager....Of course it helps when he is also the owner :-)

R. Dale Flick 08-23-2017 10:49 AM

*Judy's great memories/Calculations $*

Morning, Steamboating colleagues,.
Judy's fine memories/report with cost comparisons THEN to NOW on the money [No pun intended]. And again Judy's mention of food on the AQ interesting. Many cruise passengers choose not to eat many offerings that now seem to grow year by year. I heard a droll wag from a crew member that, "Eating on this ship is one of the entertainments of the day." Another waiter on an NCL cruise ship quipped the first night in the dining room, "Never in ALL of your life are you going to eat ALL of the food you've paid for on this cruise!" And how right he was.

Many cruise lines have cut/reduced their menu offerings compared to the old days due to dietary expectations, reduce food waste and costs aboard. Judy's mention of "tips, souvenirs, drinks, side trips, taxes" show it all adds up quicker than you think. Then add also auto expenses, gas/oil; plane, bus or AMTRAK transportation to meet the boat and return home. I understand [Correct me if I'm wrong] that not only the AQ operation but ACL and others now automatically add on 'port taxes' for not just the originating and terminating port but for ports along the way similar to the ocean lines. Capt. Bob Reynolds and Capt. Bill Judd may know more about this. I gather the new, fancy docking facilities in Memphis come at a price passed on to the passenger.

Judy also on the mark RE: boats that spend most of the day tied up with minimal river cruising. *A known fact that any port call by either the then DQ or now AQ and ACL boats do NOT leave that much money in the local economies of river cities and towns that people think--although granted every red cent is welcomed. Any passenger cruise boat docking in Cincinnati for some hours no economic comparison to the huge sports stadiums, restaurants and bars just up from the landing. This from detailed statistical studies by national and international travel organizations. 'Blue water' lux cruise ships do pump money into islands and foreign ports along with increasing shops and boutiques aboard to hit the passengers with 'deals' before they hit port or return aboard. And beverage costs have also skyrocketed. Some may decry now "fluffy bath robes, expensive tight weave sheets, luxury towels, food offerings, TV and WIFI in cabins," but many with the disposable incomes for expensive travel expect it. Again, what do I know? Cheers?

Summer: R. Dale Flick on the northern shores or mighty Lake Michigan.