Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Missouri River- Steamboat (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5676-missouri-river-steamboat.html)

Jess Burchill 03-04-2017 07:48 PM

Missouri River- Steamboat

Does anyone know the last time a Steamboat drove up the Missouri River? Based upon my research I'm seeing it done in 1800s and early 1900s, anything more recent?

Jess Burchill 03-04-2017 07:58 PM

I can't find any additional research on the topic. Please and thanks !

Bill Judd 03-04-2017 09:14 PM

The excursion steamer AVALON ran up there in the 1950's and quite a few steam towing vessels ran on the Missouri up until about 1960.

Jess Burchill 03-04-2017 10:19 PM

Thank you so much! That's very helpful. Does anyone know the last time a paddlewheeler went up the Missouri?

Jim Reising 03-04-2017 10:26 PM

I believe the AVALON went on the Missouri in her last year of operation, 1961. In fact I believe she bagged a boiler due to the muddy river. Don Sanders would know for sure.

Jess Burchill 03-04-2017 10:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That is so interesting! My boyfriend and one of his friends/employees is driving a Steamboat Paddle Wheeler up the Missouri. The boat came from Cincinnati, OH and was attached to a barge on the Ohio River and onto the Mississippi. The boys are currently at Mile 294 on the Missouri River, starting at St. Louis. They have had many days worth of troubles, but it has been quite an adventure. He is pushing the boat with his diesel ocean boat.

Judy Patsch 03-05-2017 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info and pictures!

3 Attachment(s)
Where is the boat to end up? That's a great picture with the state capitol in the background. To make sure you've put Bill and Jim's info together, yes the AVALON went up the Missouri River in the '50s and early 60s and she was (still is) a steam paddlewheeler. She is now the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE.
The first two pictures are at Davenport Iowa on the Upper Miss in 1952. The third is in Plaquemine Bayou LA., don't know the year.

Jerry Canavit 03-05-2017 01:51 PM

Judy,
In the second photo of the Avalon: Isn't that the Pipe Dream just to the left of the guy pushing the wheel barrow?

Judy Patsch 03-05-2017 09:23 PM

You spotted it!

Yep, that's the PIPE DREAM indeed. I didn't mention it because I figured no one would know it! I was thinking '51 was the last year the AVALON landed in Davenport, but these pix are labeled '52. In '51 she and the GCG were there together. My dad took me over there, but I don't remember that, unfortunately.

Frank X. Prudent 03-06-2017 12:16 AM

The JULIA BELLE SWAIN went up the muddy Missouri to St. Charles the same year the World Series featured the St. Louis Cardinals and Kansas City Royals. She made several fall foliage trips between Pere Marquette State Park near Grafton, Illinois and St. Charles that year. Don't ask me when that was as much of the trip is a blur. Barb H. and I left after work on Friday and drove to Pere Marquette arriving very early Saturday to catch the boat several hours later and then back to Cincy for work on Monday. Also the DELTA QUEEN ran up to St. Charles once during the early nineties, so she was the last steamboat, to my knowledge, to head up the Mo.