Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   What To Do With All This Stuff? (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5665-what-do-all-stuff.html)

Jim Reising 02-08-2017 03:34 PM

What To Do With All This Stuff?

It is obvious that many of us have vast collections of river stuff, be it photos, brochures, letters, etc., etc. As much as I hate to admit it some of us have more yesterdays than we have tomorrows. What can we do with all of this historical material we have. I know that my heirs have no interest the contents of my "dusty boxes". When I take that ferry boat across the big river in the sky, my kids might make an attempt to see if anyone wants it, but probably not a great attempt.
I know that I am fault for not labeling and marking what each piece is, unless whoever gets the stuff is a river buff no one will know the significance of the contents in my collection. I would hate to see it all lost, also I would hate to see it go to a place where it'll be placed in another box on a shelf accumulating more dust.
Should we, while we still can, decide on one place to donate our collections to. For me it would have to be a facility that will catalog the material and make it available for future researchers. Is there such a facility?

Jim Blum 02-08-2017 06:49 PM

I am reasonably sure my reply will be either ignored or met with vehement vituperative vocabulary; however I might humbly suggest that one first consider their items. Quite possibly one or more museums could use a particular item. For paperwork, etc I humbly suggest an institution such as the Mercantile Library University of Missouri St Louis in St Louis, MO.

Collections are catalogued (in due course, probably not the day after received), yes, quite possibly stored either onsite or offsite but available for perusal with appropriate due notice (request) under controlled conditions.

If one has sensitive material that maybe should not be immediately available to the public it can be held in a time protected release account.

Probably the Cincinnati Public Library has such a program, I don't know, neither do I know what the policy is of the Murphy Library.

As to the copyrighted material question I suspect that a person could easily file a suit where it would require a great deal of time to defend onesself against such a "frivilous" suit.

Has anyone looked at a "yellow pages" phone book to the section on Lawyers or seen large expensive highway billboards for Lawyers of every size and stripe?

Judy Patsch 02-08-2017 07:43 PM

Scholarly board

Hey, we've said this site is more scholarly than Facebook, but wow, what big words you've thrown at us ;-)

Wesley Paulson 02-11-2017 11:06 AM

Stuff

From experience with receiving collections at our local trolley museum, I suggest that an individual contact the curator at one or more possible libraries or museums. Schedule an appointment and take a general list of your stuff. You and the curator can then discuss a plan for the future. Keith may be able to add insight on this topic.

Wesley

Frank X. Prudent 02-12-2017 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Judy Patsch;36295]Hey, we've said this site is more scholarly than Facebook, but wow, what big words you've thrown at us ;-)[/QUOTE]

For a moment there I thought I was hearing Vic Tooker!