Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Why Not Here (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5659-why-not-here.html)

Jim Reising 01-27-2017 10:53 AM

Why Not Here

Over on facebook Dale started a forum Memories of the DQ preferably before 1990. The response has been terrific with a lot of great pictures and great stories. They need to be preserved. They will be a gold mine for some future researcher...and believe me there will be one someday. It's a shame that it wasn't put on this forum where it is preserved and researched. Heck, I can't find something 6 hours after I first see it on facebook. Perhaps I don't know how, but it certainly isn't as easy to find as it is on this wonder site.

Judy Patsch 01-27-2017 01:33 PM

The DQ Facebook page

To clarify it Jim, I started that Facebook page, not Dale. The reason I placed it on Facebook is because that is where the posters/contributors are - even Dale now! And you can see how much he has posted already of the pre 70s DQ days in Cincinnati, something which I treasure reading because that was not part of my DQ experience. Finding something past on Facebook IS a pain. Org. is so much better for archiving and researching past topics, but there are two major drawbacks here: 1)only 3 pictures per posting are allowed, and if you've posted a picture even years ago on another topic, you can't repost it now. 2) the readership is on Facebook, not here on .org. Look how few responses we get when we post now! Yes, there are lurkers out there, but that number is dwindling too. Franz and Carmen have provided us with a fantastic repository over the years here, but they do not have the financial capabilities of Zuckerberg or whatever the Facebook guy's name is, and thus the limitations here. I'll gladly start that topic here - so post away!

Bob Reynolds 01-27-2017 08:44 PM

Judy, you are correct on all counts. In addition, Facebook has the "like" buttons, and related ways to acknowledge a post. Many times here on steamboats.org, I might find something very interesting, but have no real comment to make, certainly not the 25 character minimum. So, that's why we are not putting as much here as on FB. It's also a lot easier to share with folks on FB, those who may not be here on dot.org. As Judy says, Franz has already provided a great thing for us, but the software is different and upgrading to something as user-friendly with all those capabilities is expensive.

Judy Patsch 01-28-2017 10:13 AM

Here's why, Jim

The DQ memories thread has been up for 24 hours now. Bob Reynolds is the only one to respond. The first 24 hours on Facebook brought multiple postings and pix. THAT's why 'not on here' Jim. Looking forward to some of your pix and memories though...

Russ Ryle 01-28-2017 11:43 AM

Why here, please.

Hi Judy,

Yes, here please. Not on Facebook with no plans to be adding personal interest information on a forum wide open to "Data Mining".

Best regards,

Russ Ryle

Judy Patsch 01-28-2017 12:19 PM

Its here, Russ

Its here, Russ, so post away! Most of my pix are already on .org in previous threads so I suggest you look my name up and find those earlier DQ threads. I don't plan to remove those pix and repost them here.

Bill Judd 01-28-2017 08:13 PM

Franz brought us out of captivity and the wilderness into the promised land. I told Franz on one of his visits to my home that Steamboats.org was the best thing to happen to us river nuts since Fred Way started the Reflector. Now everybody is deserting, its almost like treason. I do understand though as I have repeatedly tried to start a new thread only to be met with silence. You all move on, Jim Reising and I will just have a private session.

Frank X. Prudent 01-28-2017 09:58 PM

I'm still here! I just wish that I could post pics over here, but with this old worn out computer I can't post any pictures here or there now.

Bob Reynolds 01-28-2017 11:40 PM

I'm still here too, Bill. steamboats.org is a great repository of accurate information, and we can continue to use it. However, it is more convenient in some respects to post on Facebook. Both the upsides and downsides are listed above in this thread. I'm not sure I want to be labeled a "lurker" if I don't respond to a post, but also don't want to respond if I have nothing to add to the conversation. I wish we could have all that's been discussed here in a book form, indexed. Wouldn't THAT be a treasure trove of info.!

Judy Patsch 01-28-2017 11:56 PM

Despite that comment Bill..

I'm still here and will remain here. I started the thread which Jim wanted (he could have started it himself) and I will add to it when I find pix that I haven't already posted on .org. As I stated once you post a pix, you can't post it in another thread unless you find it and remove it from the first thread. I'm not doing that. Unfortunately it looks like Jim wanted to stir something up, and he did. But if you truly want this place to continue to be worthwhile, you need to post, not just lurk. And by 'you' I mean the generic whoever is reading this. It is nice to know people are looking, but it would be nicer if more people would post too. That is something which Facebook definitely has over .org because of its simplicity. Now Bill, if you and Jim wish to be alone on here, just say so and we can leave. I think I have more than sufficiently shared on here even though I also post on Facebook and don't feel that comment was appropriate.