Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   re: Barges run through Markland Dam about 1967 (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5572-re-barges-run-through-markland-dam-about-1967-a.html)

Russ Ryle 07-15-2016 08:12 AM

re: Barges run through Markland Dam about 1967

Morning all,

Back in the spring of I think 1967 or so an Ohio River Company boat tied her tow up on shore above Markland Dam and then went down light boat below Markland to assist another ORC boat who had lost a wheel jammed by a log in the rising river. Well they got the stricken boat safely up to the lower guide wall of the dam just in time to see the tied off full string of coal barges go through the rollers jamming up three gates for weeks. The river level went from near flood to five feet. This not only stopped most river traffic but caused bank collapses especially along Indiana Highway 156 in Switzerland County above the dam.

Can anyone confirm the dates of this incident? Would appreciate copies of news articles (WJ?) and photos.

Keep your steam up and your barges to yourself ..... :)

Russ Ryle

Russ Ryle 11-11-2016 09:17 AM

re: still needing information

Morning all,

Still trying to pin down the exact date this happened. I think it happened between May 20 and May 23, 1967. Also looking for photos especially of Rising Sun and Rabbit Hash river fronts with the water down to about five foot level.

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

R. Dale Flick 11-11-2016 05:15 PM

*Markland Dam barge accident, 1967*
Steamboating colleagues:
Russ, sorry for missing your earlier posting about the big Markland Dam barge accident etc. I had no problem going on my computer Internet search engine--GOOGLE--typing in 'Markland Dam barge accident, 1967' only to see a number of web sites pop up with information. One web even has a selection of photos taken at the time, during the repair work. It's all there. I remember 'reading and hearing' about it being away slogging with a Marine Corps back pack and rifle. Hope this helps a little. What do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Russ Ryle 11-11-2016 06:22 PM

re: update on info found

Hi Dale and all,

Looks like it was actually May 16 when this happened. Yes, the U of Cincinnati and other sites have some photos of the dam, etc.

Still hunting for info and pictures of the low water level up river caused by this mess.

Keep your steam up!

Russ Ryle

R. Dale Flick 11-12-2016 08:05 AM

*More 'Markland Dam' incident sources*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Russ, glad you have your souces above. The University of Cincinnati study also interesting. I ruminated here thinking, possibly, you could contact the WATERWAYS JOURNAL in St. Louis for articles they featured at the time--and no doubt there were more than a few. That was one big event here for sure. The newspaper business has changed drastically. We once had the CINCINNATI POST, CINCINNATI TIMES STAR but now down to one daily in the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER. You could contact the ENQUIRER for any articles in their 'morgue' files. Last time I tried it took time as the paper staff had been sliced with the archivist only working a few days a week.

The main Cincinnati Public Library here would have sources also in microfilm. The Cincinnati Historical Society at old Union Terminal would have much but, as you know, the complex now closed for the massive renovation/restoration process. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers also maintain archives and records but getting through to them may take time as even some of our government departments also have cut personnel and budgets. Even though I was away in the military I received letters, articles on the accident. Later, when back home, Purser Bob McCann and others in the old GREENE LINE STEAMERS office of the DELTA QUEEN told me plenty. Bob told how the 'pool' dropped down fast here in the Cincinnati region this side of Markland Dam. When the 'pool' dropped down they had to rush to move the big wharfboat out from the shore to keep it from catching and hanging up. Other times over the years I've seen the river 'pool' dropped for other reasons and repairs and when it drops it drops fast. Right you are about boats tied up for a long time on either side of the dam. I'm sure our Capt. Bill Judd could fill in the blanks with information, memories, data he has. Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old CoalHaven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.