Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

After the Ball is Over -- Tall Stacks 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default After the Ball is Over -- Tall Stacks 2006

Tall Stacks 2006 is now history, the "calliope postlude" has been played and I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing more accounts from those who were "on deck" for the festival. Judy called this morning and was preparing to check out of the NewportTravelodge and head for Rock Island, after one more stop at the NATCHEZ to assist Suzi with the dismantling of a temporary gift shop. Judy was "faithful to the cause" for the entire festival and worked ALL of the nearly back-to-back trips. To drive over 400 miles each way, pay for 7 night's lodging in a hotel and work as a volunteer from dawn's early light each morning until midnight (and beyond!) is DEDICATION in the truest definition of the word. A whistle salute to YOU, Miss Patsch, for all your endeavors!

The NATCHEZ was planning to depart Cincinnati between noon and 1 PM today to start her long journey homeward to New Orleans. Like last year, it has been wonderful to see her up here on the Ohio again. And I look forward to having our BELLE back home in Louisville. I've really missed her each morning as I cross the bridge into downtown. Her absence on the waterfront always creates a dark void. The Belle's twin stacks are as much an iconic symbol of Louisville as the twin spires of Churchill Downs!

Thanks to ALL who have posted news bulletins, experiences, photos and opinions regarding Tall Stacks!

Last edited by Keith Norrington; 10-10-2006 at 02:01 PM.