Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Loss of a friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Loss of a friend

On December 29 i lost a great friend. Virgil Reynolds of East Liverpool, Ohio passed away. He was 88. Virgil was an amazing model builder. He built an RC model of the Delta Queen which now resides in the Lou Holtz museum here in EL and several other boats. One of his models is of the River Rose. An excursion boat out of New Orleans in which he and his late wife Beverly helped bring to EL. His love for the Delta Queen and the river in general was everywhere. Just walking into his home was a trip back in time to the steamboat era. He was our local historian of all things river related. Virgil took me under his wing when i was 14 and taught me so much about building models. 46 years seperated us in age but he was one of the best friends i ever had. I even went to school with his granddaughter Holly. Virgil was a WWII veteran in the Army and served in Germany. He worked at Crucibal Steel for 35 yrs in nearby Midland Pa. I later learned that his brother Skip was also in WWII and was a platoon partner with my grandfather Lawrence. Skip lost his life during the war in which my grandfather witnessed. Small world. Love and miss you my friend.